should i make the switch to open headphones ?
May 27, 2009 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SoFGR

100+ Head-Fier
I've gone through 3 (kind of) expensive closed cans, everglide s-500 ( hey it costed 80$ back in the day :p) audiotechnica A700 beyerdynamic and DT770/80, first one was very good in games in combination with cmss3d

Could locate choppers with my eyes closed and hear sneaky bastards who wanted to knife me on the back just fine, then i made the switch to A700, same gaming goodness along with improved sound quality.

Sometime later i got the itch for even more precise 3D imaging and more powerfull bass impact, so i bought dt770 and PA2V2 since i had doubts that my unmodded x-fi could drive them properly (and i was right )

Recently i took the big step and bought the audio-gd compass, man what a difference !!
biggrin.gif
I'm really enjoying my current setup right now ( x-fi titanium + compass + DT770/80 + earth HDAM on neutral setting ) but i was originally planning to buy a pair of akg K601s along to complement my compass and use Moon HDAM instead for even bigger soundstage

Now i'm hesitating, what will i gain what will i lose ? I know that the only real upgrade i could do right now would be to send my beyers to larry for modding but i'm curious of what open cans sound like since i've never tried them, don't think dt880s or 701s will really suit me since i'm not fan of cold analytical sound, i want to enjoy my music when multitasking or when i want to relax, not stay focused and try to find every tiny imperfection in the recording

I've done an extensive amount of searching but couldn't find posts by users who were trying to make a direct comparison between dt770 and akg601, so according to what i've read the akgs should have less recessed mids, softer highs and and a lower amount of sibilance, but since they're open i will be able to hear bass but not able to "feel" it, right ? what about detail and imaging ?

Express your thoughts please : )

May 27, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 3
I think the decision to switch to open headphones will rely heavily on what you do with your headphones the most; gaming vs. music, and what kind of music. I see that you play games with your headphones, as do I, and I found that closed headphones (D2000 for me) were much better suited for the occasion than my SR225s. However, when it came to listening to music: Rock, Classical, and in general anything that was produced with no synthesized bass sounds I found that my SR225s... and anything open in general, sounded more neutral and real. I do enjoy using my closed headphones when listening to hip-hop and R & B.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I enjoy both open and closed headphones, and which ever one I choose depends on what I am doing.

May 27, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 3
If you are listening to music, movies, what have you in a place that's never occupied by another person, I say you owe yourself to get a serious open can. For me I can tell by listening which is closed and open and no, bass does not diminish by being open.

I haven't heard beyers or the AKG's but I'll recommend what someone else would have eventually: AD700. Inexpensive (relatively), lovely sound and plenty of that bass stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back