Should I make the jump to customs?
Jul 6, 2009 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

envy_ld50

New Head-Fier
This is my first post (long time reader) I already have purchased the IE8 I love the laid back sound and the nice deep bass. I was debating on purchasing the UM3x, se 530 or W3. I have read alot of comparisons and think i would like them all. I was about to purchase the UM3X when I thought maybe I should go custom? Please let me know what you think my max that i would be able to spend at this moment is about $800 that would have to include impressions. If I wanted to get the es3X i would need to wait an additional 2 weeks. Can u guys go over the sounds and costs of the customs I could get and help me decide on customs or the UM3X. PS I do not use an amp nor do I want to. My source is a 80 gig zune.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by envy_ld50 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my first post (long time reader) I already have purchased the IE8 I love the laid back sound and the nice deep bass. I was debating on purchasing the UM3x, se 530 or W3. I have read alot of comparisons and think i would like them all. I was about to purchase the UM3X when I thought maybe I should go custom? Please let me know what you think my max that i would be able to spend at this moment is about $800 that would have to include impressions. If I wanted to get the es3X i would need to wait an additional 2 weeks. Can u guys go over the sounds and costs of the customs I could get and help me decide on customs or the UM3X. PS I do not use an amp nor do I want to. My source is a 80 gig zune.

I have both the ES3X and UM3X as you can see in my sig. I don't use an amp and have a 160gb iPod Classic.

To these ears the improvement of the ES3X's over the (fantastic) UM3X's is in the region of 15%. If you check the last 20 pages or so of the ES3X thread, you'll see someone apparently got their ES3X for $750 (I think it might have even included the ear impressions!), but you can get them for $800 + ear impressions from the 'Earplug Superstore'.

Although I love my ES3X's and do not regret getting them, I'm not convinced that a 15% improvement in SQ is worth $800-$850 + (usually) cost of ear impressions & express shipping for the average person. Also, the comfort level of the UM3X rivals that of my ES3X's, which are VERY comfortable. I honestly believe the UM3X is very good value considering the SQ + comfort you get from them. But then, of course, you may find you actually prefer your IE8's in the end.

You may also face a possible re-fit or 2 -- I had three! This is NOT uncommon (one re-fit). And that may cost you even more as you may need a new set of ear impressios and pay extra shipping costs to send those in quickly enough, so they don't lose their original shape (same goes for 1st ones you send in).

Be warned that customs, unlike Universal IEM's, have NO re-sale value.

Don't really want to put you off, but I'm not sure $800+ (or the more expensive $1,150 UE11-pro) will give you that big improvement SQ-wise you may be expecting/ thinking you'll get.

Of course others may, and probably will, disagree.

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 18
somehow, i knew that comment was coming. whatever the case, if you are in the market for customs, you may want to get customs rather than universals. i have had both and markedly prefer the customs. the improvement in sound, detail, comfort and usefulness i find over universals is at least 50% with sound making up about 30% of the increase. obviously, your mileage may vary.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many products to choose from then: Sleek CT6, Livewires, JH5Pro, UE4Pro, FitEars dual, Alien Ears, Fidelity Ears - the list goes even further. All of these come to less than 7000=$ (or much less) including impressions.

any idea how we could order fitears? everything seems to be in japanese...
frown.gif

i am also quite skeptical about customs, so maybe get a entry level to try out.

Jul 6, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 18
fitears does not sell overseas. if you are in japan, then you are in luck. but you also have to either find a translator or get some google help. i can fully recommend the sleek ct6 - it trounces everything i have used in the universal land that had cost more when i got the sleek model and i am fully happy with its performance.

one problem with shooting low is that you will have, if upon realising that you like the platform and wanting to upgrade, wasted some serious dosh. i will be getting some fitears to also compare with my other customs and put up solid and detailed reviews of each.

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the ES3X and UM3X as you can see in my sig. I don't use an amp and have a 160gb iPod Classic.

To these ears the improvement of the ES3X's over the (fantastic) UM3X's is in the region of 15%. If you check the last 20 pages or so of the ES3X thread, you'll see someone apparently got their ES3X for $750 (I think it might have even included the ear impressions!), but you can get them for $800 + ear impressions from the 'Earplug Superstore'.

Although I love my ES3X's and do not regret getting them, I'm not convinced that a 15% improvement in SQ is worth $800-$850 + (usually) cost of ear impressions & express shipping for the average person. Also, the comfort level of the UM3X rivals that of my ES3X's, which are VERY comfortable. I honestly believe the UM3X is very good value considering the SQ + comfort you get from them. But then, of course, you may find you actually prefer your IE8's in the end.

You may also face a possible re-fit or 2 -- I had three! This is NOT uncommon (one re-fit). And that may cost you even more as you may need a new set of ear impressios and pay extra shipping costs to send those in quickly enough, so they don't lose their original shape (same goes for 1st ones you send in).

Be warned that customs, unlike Universal IEM's, have NO re-sale value.

Don't really want to put you off, but I'm not sure $800+ (or the more expensive $1,150 UE11-pro) will give you that big improvement SQ-wise you may be expecting/ thinking you'll get.

Of course others may, and probably will, disagree.

Another option is to get the UM3X's and UM56 custom tips. I've found the custom tips improve the sound of both the W3's and the UM3X's immensely.

Jul 6, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fitears does not sell overseas. if you are in japan, then you are in luck. but you also have to either find a translator or get some google help. i can fully recommend the sleek ct6 - it trounces everything i have used in the universal land that had cost more when i got the sleek model and i am fully happy with its performance.

one problem with shooting low is that you will have, if upon realising that you like the platform and wanting to upgrade, wasted some serious dosh. i will be getting some fitears to also compare with my other customs and put up solid and detailed reviews of each.

thanks for the info. maybe i should get from an "english speaking" company.
atsmile.gif
JH, UE, livewires, SA..........

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 18
If you can wait a season, you may be blown away at your options. The purchase of custom IEMS is not something to rush into. It used to be that you only had a few options, which were atrociously expensive. Now, there's a mushrooming of firms making IEMs and at lower prices. I think AE may have rocked the boat by introducing triples for $350. But there's also a technical reason to wait. The price of balanced armatures is coming down. Jerry Harvey's amazing JH13 - with six drivers in tow - is evidence that we're on the cusp of another sea change in the industry.

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #12 of 18
doesn't he use microarmatures though in his jh13pro? they are always cheaper than full sized armatures. his prices surely are very well done, but most of the dual/triple/quintuple/and now 6-driver models user cheaper drivers than those which rely on one driver aka sleek and etymotic. i wonder what dual sleek drivers would be like. but, that is just my experience - best single drivers i have used have been phenomenally better than best multiple - though i have never gone more than triple drivers.

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #13 of 18
I'm actually looking into this as well. I just don't want to jump the gun, but I'm going to be researching as I save money to get customs. They are expensive! I'm also looking into getting n amp, but one step at a time.

Actually anyone that lives in L.a know a place to actually test out some portable amps?

Jul 7, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #15 of 18
if the ES3X is anything like the UM3X and other westone monitors, they will EQ very well. so if there is not enough bass, use a DAP that has decent EQ or supports rockbox

Users who are viewing this thread

Back