Should I look for an amp with (optical) S/PDIF inputs?
Dec 16, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #16 of 24
Thanks for a very nice reply Bummrounde! The Earforce DSS sounds nice, although now, we're on the "too cheap" side LOL. Something is "wrong". As in: probably cheaper components / not such a great quality. But anyway you seem to praise it and I've seen a C-Net review which says it's decent. So this is the first valid option I can pick, since the Burson MohawkUS is getting is completely out of the question due to the insane price.

The Astro Mixamp? That's a different product. It's for Wireless sound. You mean it has an amp & dac integrated I guess, but sending sound wirelessly totally makes me wear a huge frown.

So. Any other DAC+AMP models which take SPDIF? (btw, the power can come from the USB. Just not the sound).

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #17 of 24
Oh no, don't get me wrong.  The Earforce DSS build quality is specious at best.  Thin, weightless, flimsy plastic.  It is great as an amp in the same way that a sock full of billiard balls is great for self-defense; when you've got nothing else, you'll be glad it is there.  My post wasn't intended to be an endorsement of the product as an amp; it was an endorsement of s/pdif quality.

FYI.  The Mixamp is wireless now, but at the time I got my Earforce they were both wired devices.

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #18 of 24
I would recommend a dedicated mini DAC and amp. There are many performance tradeoff if integrated everything into one box. For computer music, Asyn USB interface is a lot better than regular sound card SPDIF. Musical Fedelity V-Link can improve the sound a lot.  

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #19 of 24
You mean this thing?  What would be the specific differences and improvements I should expect?

http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Fidelity-MFVLINK-V-Link/product-reviews/B004PH03GU/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #20 of 24
[for the record, I can't find that one here either]

Need DAC with optical inpuuuuuut *grin*. Ok, I'm "willing" to drop the "includes AMP" part. I could actually buy two separate pieces. Fiio has lots of models available here in Sweden but they use USB and I don't like USB: too dependent on drivers!

Dec 20, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #22 of 24
Axonn, whomever it was that lead you to believe that the Asus ST/STX has problems with Win7 is talking complete rubbish. I've purchased two ST's (pci) and two ATH-AD900's for family members and they work perfectly. No driver problems whatsoever, hardware or software, no noise, in fact no issues at all and so have thousands of others. Buy with confidence.

Just my 20cents worth << allowing for inflation :)

Dec 26, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #23 of 24
What do you mean that they're talking rubbish? Do you think they're lying or simply that they're noobs and don't know how to properly configure a driver? I think there may be cases of both, but I heard it from multiple people over here that they had problems and I have read their explanations and they certainly didn't seem liars or noobs, but genuinely affected customers of ASUS's ****ty drivers or Windows 7 ****ty sound management.

However, your message is good news to me, as I am failing to find a proper stand-alone DAC + Amp. What media player do you use for your soundcard, and what output method (custom audio stream output from Winamp/Foobar)?

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #24 of 24
The drivers that come stock with the Essence(as of 2 years ago when I bought mine) were made for Vista and were not clearly labeled as so. They broke my Win 7 install and my only option was to re-install windows. Fortunatly I had just finished putting the computer together and it was already a fresh install that got corrupted.
You will have to download proper Win 7 drivers from ASUS, but its pretty standard when working with PC components to chuck the driver disc and download the latest drivers anyway. That was my first noob mistake with my computer, trying to take the easy way out with a driver disc. :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back