Should I Keep My Portable Amp?
Jan 21, 2005 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Joy Divisioner

New Head-Fier
Hey all. I recently puchased a Total Airhead and am happy with it. However, I can't help but wonder if there's anything else out there in the 120< range that's better. Ideally I'd like to part with the TAH (and AC adapter) for no less than $120. If I can get this price, are there any portable amps within this price range that are better than the TAH? In other words, would it be worth it for me to try to sell and upgrade?

I don't necessarily need a portable amp for carrying around, rather something that's portable for travelling.

Jan 21, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 26
You don't specify why you are trying to replace the TAH. I have one and find that it is quite capable of driving Senn HD-650's to full and clear performance. It's main limitation is that it is noisey when using high efficiency phones such as the Ety ER-4P's. But then, an amp is not as necessary for the Ety's.

The next significant step up from the TAH appears to be either the SuperMacro or the Ray Samuels SR-71 but these are in the $300 to $400 range depending on options.

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 26
I'd thought of replacing it because of all the so-so reviews it receives from members of the forums. I couldn't really tell if these were price/performance related, or if they were referring to the fact that there were better amps out there in this price range. I guess you could call this possible buyer's remorse? Like I said, I think the TAH sounds great, I just wanted to see if switching it out for another amp in the price range would be worth it. It seems like it's probably not (and thanks for the helpful advice everyone, I appreciate it), so I'll probably wait to upgrade again until I'm ready to go for something like an SR-71.

Thanks again.

Jan 21, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 26
I recently bought a Headroom Airhead amp. Would the Total Airhead be a better choice? I am within my 30 day return period and have the option to return it and replace it with the Total Airhead. However, the TAH runs about $50 more than the Airhead.

Any thoughts?

Jan 21, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 26
gnagel,
I haven't compared the two in my system so can't answer your question directly. Generally speaking, the quality of components in an audio circuit can make a crucial difference in the fidelity of the sound produced.

If someone who has the experience responds, he/she will need to know about your source and headphones...They must be of sufficient quality that they will be able to pass on the sometimes subtle effects that upgraded components can have.

Jan 21, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 26
I own two sets of headphones---Sennheiser 595s along with Ety ER 4Ps.

My source is a Panasonic portable CD player (SL-S241C). I am connecting the Airhead amp to the line out on the CD player. When I connect the headphones to the CD player, I notice very little (if any) difference in the sound quality or volume level.

My other source is a 3rd generation iPod. When I connect my headphones to the line out on the iPod's docking station, I notice an improvement over using the headphone jack connection. However, I notice very little (if any) improvement when using the Airhead amp versus the direct headphone connection to the line out. Of course, the amp is useful with the line out since I have no other way of controlling the volume.

I encode my iPod songs using either 192 kbps or 224 kbps AAC.

I'm wondering if it makes any sense to "upgrade" to the Total Airhead while I'm within my 30 day return period window. Or, maybe an amp upgrade wouldn't make any difference given the quality of my sources?

Jan 21, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 26
gnagel,
My source is a Creative Zen Touch. With the ER-4P's it is fine and adding in the TAH just adds a background of white noise without changing the music in any detectable way. This white noise is still noticeable with the P->S converter. Do you hear the white noise from the AH with the 4P's?

With the HD-650's, the Zen Touch alone is just not powerful enough to drive big classical orchestral works by itself. There is definitely a noticeable improvment in the "body" of the music with the TAH and 650's--most noticeable in the lower octaves--and the white noise is almost inaudible. On the loudest notes, played at the highest volume settiing, the red clipping on the TAH will regularly light up. I don't listen that loud, though.

Jan 21, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Do you hear the white noise from the AH with the 4P's?

No. I hear no discernable difference when listening to the Ety's with or without the Airhead amplifier. I was considering buying the Ety P-S converter. Maybe that will make a difference.

So far, I primarily use the amp with the Senn 595s. My understanding was that the Senn's would benefit from the amp far more than the Ety 4Ps.

Jan 22, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joy Divisioner
I've never listened to the Airhead so I can't really give an accurate opinion. I can say that my Total Airhead sounds quite good (especially for the price I got it for) IMO.

I think you just answered your question....
icon10.gif

Don't worry about what you read. Keep them for a while, and just enjoy the music.

Todd (Joy Division used to be my favorite group!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back