Should I just go for the 580?
Jun 16, 2002 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

fyleow

500+ Head-Fier
Heres the situation,

My current setup is:
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz > Sennheiser 497s

My dad was complaining about spending $70 on a sound card and said that perhaps it would be better to just go for a dedicated CD player. He said he knows I will try to upgrade it when a new one comes out. So he gives me a budget $150. This isn't alot to work with for a good CD player especially when it needs a good headphone jack. Looking around the forums people mention that the Sony 755s are good. So I go demo it at Good Guys but I didn't bring my stuff and I couldn't compare it to anything (and the guy gave me the Sony MDR 700 ewww). I wasn't too impressed, especially since it was pretty boomy (might just be the headphones though).

I'm just thinking I could get a bigger difference by just returning the Santa Cruz, using my old Live with a CMOY amp and a Sennheiser 580. Agreed? It doesn't seem wise for me to upgrade my source when my headphones really aren't all that.

Jun 16, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 12
The JMT built CMOY and the used Sennheiser HD580 have something in common--they are both phenomenolly good values.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not sure I can advocate a source downgrade, but I dig the rest of your plan.

Jun 17, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 12
Yea I want to keep the Santa Cruz too but my dad would never allow that. He says I spent too much already. At the beggining he was freaked out about $20 dollar MX500s, then he was freaked out by $60 dollar 497s, now he thinks $149 580s will be OK. Don't think I can push it any farther though.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, now I just have to get my Cmoy working.

Jun 17, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 12
lol, I have the same problem with my dad. I EARN the money. But he's still reluctant to let me spend it as I WANT to.

Oh well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully, he'll have no objections for me to buy a premium little / mg head after working about 80 hours at minimum.
eek.gif

Jun 17, 2002 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
lol, I have the same problem with my dad. I EARN the money. But he's still reluctant to let me spend it as I WANT to.

Boy, do I know your pain andrzejpw...

Even though my dad agrees that my setup is great, he still gets real upset whenever I buy any new equipment...

Its envy... thats what it is
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2002 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Even though my dad agrees that my setup is great, he still gets real upset whenever I buy any new equipment...

And that doesn't change much when you get married either. It just won't be your Dad doing the complaining.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back