Should I invest in a pair of LCD-Xs?
Sep 7, 2020 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FadedSynth

New Head-Fier
I was wondering if the Audeze LCD-Xs are worth the money. I currently only have a pair of Meze 99 Classics and want to invest in a pair of open back headphones and have heard extremely good things about the Xs but require some confirmation before I spend $1k+ on them.

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 8
We don’t know anything about you to recommend one way or the other. You need to provide more context.

Past/Present/Dream Gear. Why you bought it, why you want to buy it. What did you like/dislike. What all have you tried and what you felt. What kind of music you listen to.

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 8
What do you want more / less of vs. the Meze 99? What do you want to be different? What kind of music do you listen to? What sources do you use? What kind of amp are you using?

Sep 7, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 8
I want more detail from my headphones, particularly in the mids. Currently I am using a Schiit Magni and Modi on my PC and I still need to get a headphone amp for my stereo and was going to wait until I purchased the headphones so I can compliment them. I have used a friends DT 1990 PRO and really enjoyed them and wanted a pair of open back for variety.

Sep 8, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 8
If you need to ask then the answer is probably no :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 8
What’s worth is very subjective. Do you have means to audition LCDX? If so, I would start there. Also, take your time when you get to hear them. First impressions aren’t always a good indicator of what particular headphone can or can’t do and how will they make you feel long term.

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 8
I'd like to point out something that you may not have considered with the LCD-X. They're quite a bit heavier than the meze. While not as heavy as some of the wood line lcd, they're not gentle on the head and neck. Definetely audition them if you are able, and if you do get one, make sure it has the comfort headband strap. I actually prefer several less expensive options over the lcd-x, and the 1990 is one of them.

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 8
Hi @FadedSynth,

Subjectively & personally, I agree with the previous posters, LCD X will depend on your own tastes in sound & extended demos are a must to make a good decision...kind of hard given the restrictions currently in place in Oz.

I also agree there are certainly other options out there certainly more budget friendly though personally, my preferences lean towards Closed despite two of my top three headphones I use for reference are Open & only one is still available to buy, Acoustic Research AR 1.
See if there is one to demo at Jaben.

Otherwise, my reference Closed Back is the Neumann NDH 20 so I suggest considering that if you ca find one to demo though given your location, that might be a bit difficult as the only retailer who has one I am aware of is Factory Sound.

While personally not a fan, the 1990 Pro mentioned is certainly a decent choice though as with all headphones mentioned so far, a better head amp is certainly recommended.
For a good affordable head amp, I suggest either Presonus HP 4 or SMSL SP 200 or both.

As a side note, not a fan of Schitt gear for various reasons, subjectively & personally, main one I find they don't synergise well with a lot of audio gear...

For a final note, mids detail is highly subjective & personal so as stated, I suggest considering another DAC, that might help to, any Focusrite Scarlett is a better affordable choice or Presonus. Or if still available, if StoreDJ still has them, get a Lexicon Alpha.

Regardless whatever you end up with, the important thing is to take your time during demos & use well recorded source material, regardless of format.

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back