Should I go with Space or Portability? Karma Vs. Nitrus
Jan 9, 2004 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

amdj

Head-Fier
hoya, I'm about to sell my SlimX350 for 65 bucks and I'll have more than enough money to buy a Rio Karma (20gb) or Nitrus. (4gb version, I'll wait) Question is, which should I go with? I don't think I'll run with it, but smaller is better. Is the Rio Karma small enough to fit comfortably in the pocket? The network connections for the karma seem nice, I can set it up for a wireless lan for everyone to listen to my music.

I'm using my sennheiser hd280s but now I switch to the shure e2cs and theyre sounding solid. I need some comments, and also I need some places where I can find the Karma for a lower price. The karma 4gb version hasn't came out yet, but is it worth to wait? I heard it delivers weaker sound but is extremely small, can any1 care to share pics for the nitrus? thanks.

Jan 9, 2004 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 9
I just posted this in another thread... thought it's useful here...

iPod 15/20GB:
4.1 by 2.4 by 0.62 inches => 6.1 cubic inch

iPod 40GB:
4.1 by 2.4 by 0.73 inches => 7.18 cubic inch

Rio Karma:
2.7” X 3.0” X 1.1” => 8.91 cubic inch

the Karma isn't exactly pocketable as far as I'm concerned. It's still very small and compact, just a little too thick. The best thing for you to do is to go to a local store that might have it on display, pick it up and try it on for size.

When it comes down to these players, you really don't know what you like until you've picked one up.

Jan 9, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #4 of 9
ah yes I saw your post earlier.

I'm heading toward the karma, after all, it's still pretty damn small and should serve great to as a portable hard drive to save videos (anime ^^) on the go. its a shame it requires software to put videos etc on it. But I heard in the future firmare, it'll act as a hard drive, which will be extremely good and a big plus.

can anyone provide more information on what I need to know?

I mainly picked this over Apple because of the pricing, nice looking cradle with features, and because of that neat networking cable design, should be easy to transfer wirlessly through. my only little grudge is that it doesnt have an fm tuner, but who needs it when u got 1000+ songs you like.

I'm gonna buy this from newegg.com, they have it for $295+free shipping (they ship effing fast! and the best support so far)+$20 mail in rebate. sounds good
evil_smiley.gif

ONE LAST question!

the LCD screen seems really big. How is it and the lighting on the screen? Blue color correct?

thanks ! ^^

Jan 9, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 9
Head over to riovolution.com for more of the answers, however, in brief...

I have a Karma. I love it. It fits perfectly fine in my jeans pocket (look for Gogogadgetgirl's thread on riovolution, and her test with the karma in many hiphugging jeans
wink.gif
) HOWEVER, the screen is prone to scratching so I would highly suggest putting a mock-up screen protector on it if you are going to keep it in your pocket.

It appears as though USB MSC is on the way in either the next firmware release or the one afterthat, and it looks to support not only Win32 but 'other' OSs as well.

The Nitrus is smaller, but you WILL use up the space. I never thought I'd use up 20gbs, and then I started ripping my 600+ albums to OGG.....yeah it's pretty damn nice to be able to pick ANY album you want.

Also, the Karma's headphone jack is more powerful than the Nitrus', so you should get better sound out of your Senns

Edit: The screen is absolutely gorgeous, visible in just about any lighting condition, and the blue backlight is very sexy. Also, one of the recent firmware enhancements is that you can set the dock to 'pulse' to the music....now who can match that
wink.gif

Edit 2: You may want to consider picking it up from a Brick and Morter like Circuit City, I have heard a lot of people having luck having CC/BB price match WalMart who has an online price of 284. Since WalMart is out of stock they just 'white' that part out on the print screen, a bit devious, but damn cheap none the less.

Jan 9, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 9
Karma all the way. It is still VERY portable. It's tiny and it is just as pocketable as an ipod despiter what the podders say. it is also powerful enough to drive your hd-280's nicely. The niturs is smaller yes, but not all that much real world difference. Plus you can hold better sonding music on the karma in Ogg.
600smile.gif

Jan 9, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 9
Karma might be a bit chunky for a front shirt pocket, but as far as keeping it in my jeans or a jacket pocket, my main worry is that it's so small that I sometimes forget it's there and might accidentally put it in the wash!

I'd second the comment on the headphone jack. It's really nice having plenty of power to drive my various cans.

Jan 9, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 9
thanks for the comments ^_^

anyone know which place offers the Karma (retail stores) at a price of $300 (not including rebate) or lower? I'll just have to do a price match with Fry's or Bestbuy.

Please, feel free to give any comment, thanks.

and how does this compare to the zen xtra?

Jan 10, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 9
need some comments and suggestions quick!!!

i'm about to purchase in another hour or so, and I just saw in my ad theres a Zen Xtra 40GB version for 300 after mail in rebate. Can the zen store any type of file like the karma? how do the 2 compare? fast reply pho shizzle >_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back