Should I Go Rockbox?
Mar 14, 2008 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KUNFUCHOPSTICKS

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I have a 5.5G 30G Ipod. The main reason i'm looking into 3rd party FW is because the Apple FW doesn't show other tag info like bitrate, year, and such...

But,
I really like the Original interface, it's simple and classy. Rockbox interface seems complicated. Is there a Apple theme for the ROckbox?

And is the audio quality better with the ROckbox?

SO should i go ROckbox?

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 9
WpsGallery < Main < TWiki

and

Rockbox Themes

for any themes you want to check out.

As for audio quality, there is no difference compared to the Apple OS; rather, there are vastly more options that are available to tweak the sound.

I gave up Rockbox after Apple went gapless; the low battery life and clunky startup/charging ways were also major factor in my leaving it.

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 9
If you do not need a complicated EQ, or if you want good battery life, don't rockbox it. If you just want the ipod to look cool, get Ipod wizard can download a skin for it.

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 9
What about crossfade...I love that! (not crossfeed)
eggosmile.gif

There are a lot of cool things that Rockbox offers but it'll take some time playing around to figure it all out.

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 9
Short answer is - just try it and find out! Really simple...

Beyond that you can 'dual boot' both versions of the firmware anyway - it's not like the original Apple firmware is cleared and replaced, so you can restart your iPod at any stage running either Rockbox or Apple firmware.

Mar 14, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 9
I Rockboxed my iRiver 120....never regretted it - RB is a *superb* piece of kit w/ tons of options over and above the original firmware...plus, as poo said, you can dual-boot anytime. Win-win!

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Why not give it a try and make up your own mind?
Its installed in a matter of minutes (if you are running MS Windows that is), and can be restored in even shorter time..

Mar 15, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 9
I agree you should definitely try it out for yourself. I personally couldn't stand the interface so I removed it, which was pretty easy if I recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back