Should I go from an HD650=>HD580?
Aug 23, 2006 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

thislittlepiggy

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys,

my hd650s sound fairly muddy on my current setup (x-fi coax=>lite dac-ah=>head5, which is a bass heavy system in itself). i love the bass slam of the hd650, but sometimes there's just way too much. do you guys think the hd580s will clear things up for me and keep the bass slam at the same time?

Aug 23, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 17
IMO, hd580s are better balanced, highs and low, compared to hd650s.. it doesnt mean that hd580s have weak bass at all. it is just that hd650s are
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

on the other hand, i think you might miss the build quality of the hd650s.. i think they look very nice, regardless how they sound..

i would rather go for hd600s if i can get them for a good price, if not, hd580s..

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 17
The 580 is brighter IMHO than the 650.
You could try the de-foam mod. IMHO the foam sheet that covers the driver is at least part of what makes senn HDs so dark, and can be modded and tweeked to taste.

Many people prefer the 580/600/650 without the foam sheet, and the mod is completely reversible. I prefer my HD580 with a hole cut out of it.

Ive dished out a LOT of anti-580 comments over the years (being more of a grado fan) and honestly, moding that foam sheet has brought about a complete 180 turnaround for me. They are still darker than my brightest Grado, but modded, they are not complete worlds apart any more. Hole mod-ing that sheet has also helped fill in center stage, which always seemed so vacant.

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 17
I researched sennheiser heavily before deciding on the AKG K701s and a lot of people recommended the HD600 if you wanted a more balanced sound than the HD650, I think they are considered better overall/in general than the 580 even if it's not by much.

Aug 23, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 17
thanks for the replies guys. i have heard the hd600s and the hd580s are one and the same despite appearances, so i decided the hd580s are the way to go since they're cheaper. i'm pretty curious as to whether the hd580/600's bass has the same impact as the hd650, but without the muddiness. for now, i'll just try out my hd650s defoamed (courtesy of kramer5150's suggestion). i've tried defoaming my hd650 before, but all it did was raise the treble, which was kinda irritating to my ears.

man, my ears are picky.

Aug 24, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by thislittlepiggy
thanks for the replies guys. i have heard the hd600s and the hd580s are one and the same despite appearances, so i decided the hd580s are the way to go since they're cheaper.

the 580 and 600 can sound awfully close if the system isn't quite right but properly amped the 600 is clearly better than the 580, in my experience. both are nice cans. there is a reason why many audio reviewers used them as reference cans for years and years.
580smile.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 17
I used to own the HD580, but made the upgrade to the HD650 because there was a significant difference in sound quality for classical music. In general, I thought the HD580 had more bass and was less controlled -- the lower register instruments such as double bass and tubas were muddled, and drums did not ring.

I was still unsatisfied with the clarity of the HD650, so I tried the Zu Mobius replacement cable. Although the techflex is a bit annoying, the clarity has improved and the headphones are now borderline-bright. The bass is just as punchy, though slightly muted in comparison to the stock cable. However, it is even more clear than before.

In my opinion, the HD580 is a great value, but if you want transparency and detail, you should stick with the HD650. I have never heard the dac-ah and head 5, but maybe they are the culprits of the excessive bass.

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by thislittlepiggy
hey guys,

my hd650s sound fairly muddy on my current setup (x-fi coax=>lite dac-ah=>head5, which is a bass heavy system in itself). i love the bass slam of the hd650, but sometimes there's just way too much. do you guys think the hd580s will clear things up for me and keep the bass slam at the same time?

I was not much enthralled by he HD-650/Headfive combo either (my OBH-21 is a more synergistic match with the Senn). If I were you, I would go with a different amp (something not bassy and offers 'faster' sound). The HD-650 is a clearly superior phone to the HD-580.

Regards.

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek
the 580 and 600 can sound awfully close if the system isn't quite right but properly amped the 600 is clearly better than the 580, in my experience.

Ditto... the difference is obvious to my ears as well. Maybe not out of a high impedance receiver jack though, or straight out of a portable device or soundcard. Tonal balance is pretty much identical of course, and maybe that's why people say they sound the same. They differ in other areas than frequency response.

Aug 24, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 17
Before the 650s were out, I had the 580s and 600s, preferred the 600s.

When the 650s came out, I tried the 650s and stuck with them for a while.

I sold and repurchased the 650s twice. (Can you hear my wallet screaming?)

But now, I'm back to the 580s.

What can comment from my journey:

1. The 650s may be more "hi-fi" in that the sound is more refined and less edgy. Everything sounds just so well rounded off, there's very little harshness. With a capable amp and good amount of volume, the 650s can really come alive. At lower volumes, the cans sound veiled and distant. Build quality is top notch, I personally prefer the 600/650 build and looks over any other dynamic headphone on the market, period.

2. The 580s have a more immediately likeable frequency response, but it sounds slightly harsher and unrefined. It sounds more exciting, and you can enjoy the 580s at lower volumes than the 650. The build is excellent but the paint has a reputation to chip/rub off easily over time. The 580s feel nicer on the head because it's lighter.

Why did I switch from the 650s to 580s? Well, I was starting to get bored with its sound signature, and I wanted the extra $200 in my pocket. Maybe in a few months I'll switch back (or have both).

Conclusion - if your HD650s sound muddy at volume levels you're comfortable with, you should most definately try the 580s. If you really like the 580s then you can invest a bit more and get the 600s. If not, oh well, they were a fraction of the price of the original HD650s anyway.
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #13 of 17
My experience: I've moved back from the HD650 to the HD600.

Although the better detail and refinment of the HD650 is clear to my ears, in my setup (which is not a "bassy" one) I can't stand the bass presence of the HD650: they are wonderful cans, but I've found that I'm better "in the music" and I enjoy more listening with the HD600, which has a slighlty "brighter" sound signature and more "soft" bass, which I liked better. There is a bit more grain, but the sound are more "alive" and enjoyable for my tastes.

Having this from the HD600, I can live with the slightly more grain that it has compared to the HD650.

bye
Andrew

Aug 24, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 17
No need really to bother witht he HD600 when you can get the HD580 much cheaper and make some simple mods to come closer to the HD600 sound. Simple mods.. the HD600 grilles & the HD650 cables. I have the HD600 grilles. Soon to have the HD650 cable.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back