Should I go for the SE535 or SE425 for electronic dance music producing?
Jan 20, 2016 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

filipeteles

New Head-Fier
I've read a few articles in this forum regarding those two IEM but can't decide.

I'll be producing electronic dance music, things like House, Techno, Hardstyle, Trap, Trance.

Also, I have a SubPac, which will give me a solid reference for Bass.

Should I go for the SE535 or SE425 for electronic dance music producing, is it worth spending the extra dollars on the SE535?

I've read that it is very mid centric, not sure if this is the best profile for this kind of music I guess.

Thanks everyone!

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 8
I would go with the Shure SE215/SE315 IEMs and either the Audio Technica ATH-M50x over-ear for bass quantity (impact) or Shure SRH840 over-ear for bass quality (presence). The IEMs would work for general listening and the over-ears would work for mixing and monitoring. Also, you can get both IEM and over-ear recommendations by any choice for the around same price as the Shure SE425/SE535.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 8
SE535 for EDM?  No to my ears, but I am just one opinion.

There are better bass IEMs out there that still do well with the mids and highs.  For example, the Audiofly AF180 gives you the SE535 smoothness with better, more accurate bass.  The AF140 is a hybrid and really thumps if that is what you are after; however, I don't see the AF140 being ideal for production since its bass bump will make your mixes bass light.  

As long as you understand how your equipment translates to your final mix, any decent iem will do.  Perhaps, the SE535 will work after all.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audiofly-af180-ear-monitor-reviewed#3JmWc6MLji9S713J.97

http://passionforsound.lachlanfennen.com/audiofly-af180/

http://www.soundperfectionreviews.com/2014/08/audiofly-af180-review-huge-thanks-to.html

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 8
This link will be more helpful than my previous comments.  http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the answer everyone.

Anyway, the thing is, I'll be using it alongside a SubPac, which is a bass system, so I'm not that worried about the IEM having an impactful bass, but I want an IEM (no over-head phones) that has very cloear frequencies, regardless if it's treble, medium or bass.

Not sure if that makes any sense as I'm not that experienced in that area 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the answer everyone.

Anyway, the thing is, I'll be using it alongside a SubPac, which is a bass system, so I'm not that worried about the IEM having an impactful bass, but I want an IEM (no over-head phones) that has very cloear frequencies, regardless if it's treble, medium or bass.

Not sure if that makes any sense as I'm not that experienced in that area :bigsmile_face:

Hmmm...are you producing for small parties (~25 people), or larger? If larger, you need over-ears to make sure equipment distortion does not resonate. IEMs or CIEMs do not measure out equipment distortion, which is through "scalability" in head-fi terms. That is why musicians with more "individualized" (stringed) instruments use CIEMs and DJs use over-ears or on-ears, so that they can hear how the sound will project over the speakers. If you use IEMs for larger parties, there are good odds that people might find the sound "tinny" over the speakers. You can try to make the sound less tinny by turning up the volume, but that would make the treble more grainy and music even worse. Try it for yourself: look for a London Grammar live performance and turn up the volume to see what I mean. Even with less bass than other EDM groups, the treble will sound grainy when you turn up the volume, even with HD800s, because those guys use CIEMs in an EDM-influenced atmosphere.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 8
Guys I am new in here. I have just purchased the SHURE 535. Do you  think I made the right choice. I was deciding between Shure 425 too but finally made my decision to buy the 535.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back