Should I go for the Micro$oft Natural 4000 keyboard?
Sep 9, 2006 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
I've always been tempted with the ergonomic keyboards to try them out. Should I go for it now? Newegg has them on sale with a $10 rebate and an automatic $5 off. It ends up being $40.

I don't necessarily need a new keyboard, and I do have a nice one now, (prodikeys) but I really want to try out the ergonomic style keyboards. Is $40 a reasonable price? Will the included software get screwed up if I switch my keyboards back and forth?

Thanks.

By the way, I was also considering getting a Logitech G5. Which one do you guys think would be a better choice? I don't really want to spend for both, but I'm leaning towards the mouse.

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 38
I just bought the Natural 4000 a few months ago, after owning the flat-designed Logitech keyboards. I can't remember the exact models but I had 3 of them.

After about 2 weeks of learning that I didn't strike the Y key with the right finger, I've finally become comfortable with this keyboard. The soft padded wrist-rest is a huge bonus too. As for the software, I never installed it, however, most of the media buttons work as long as the program I wish to control is the active window. That's a pretty good price too, I'd jump on it!

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 38
According to some people it's hard to switch back and forth between a normal keyboard and ergonomic. How true is that statement? The keyboard would be used 90% of the time, whenever I'm not making music with the prodikeys, which I haven't started doing yet, but may some time soon.

I think I may grab this and forget about the mouse. I guess I truly don't need to have "on the fly DPI changes." My mouse is pretty much fine for me I guess.

I'm off to bed. I guess I'll think it over. I don't know how much I really need a keyboard, but it sure looks comfy.

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 38
I'm about 40/50, with the majority of my typing at work. I'm already thinking of getting a natural keyboard for my office though, since they're much more comfortable and easier to type with (IMO). However, yes, it is difficult switching between the two especially if you've been on one for 30+ minutes.

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 38
terrific keyboard... the leather pads are great. i thought i could never find a better keyboard than the original MS Natural PRO ... but this one is great. i have 3 of the PRO to use at home and the 4000 at work... its true, ill never go back to standard keyboard (or even other "ergo" keyboards)

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 38
Yes! I tried one out in the store the other day and it felt great.

I love my Natural Multimedia but the action isn't as crisp as it once was. It's a little difficult at first to type on a split keyboard. It's not too bad going back to a regular keyboard. They just feel a little cramped. Some laptops can be troublesome though.

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
According to some people it's hard to switch back and forth between a normal keyboard and ergonomic. How true is that statement?

Well I guess I'm not one of those people. I have an ergo as my main keyboard, but I also use my laptop keyboard (Fujitsu N3511) a bunch, as well as plenty of "regular" keyboards at various places. I'm not the most well coordinated guy, and my handwriting looks like crap, but I have no problem adapting to the various keyboards. I really do find the ergo a pleasure to type on. Even if the one I have (Logitech wiress pro) is old and loud (clicky), I still love the darn thing. YMMV

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 38
Just buy a new one from Newegg. It's only twenty bucks difference. I wouldn't want somebody elses gunk in my keyboard. It's a pain cleaning ergonomic keyboards. Took me about a half an hour last time I cleaned mine.

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 38
The natural 4000 is a great keyboard. I love mines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
According to some people it's hard to switch back and forth between a normal keyboard and ergonomic. How true is that statement?

I too use the ergo at home but standard on my laptop. I'm often at my gf's house using her standard at her house too. I have no trouble switching from my ergo to standard on my laptop.

Sep 10, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 38
I find no problem switching. I use a standard all day at work and an ergonomic at home. The ergo boards are far more comfortable.

Sep 10, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 38
I have an ergo for my pc and I also used laptop. Ergo is very great to type on, I loved it. OTOH I don't have problem switching it with regular keyboard.

Sep 10, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #13 of 38
Honestly, I prefer the good, solid click of the old-style Macintosh keyboards, or thin, laptop style ones. Ergonomic ones are too weird for me. Plus, 40 bucks is a lot for a keyboard nowadays, if it doesn't come with a mouse.

Sep 10, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 38
Get the keyboard first, then get the mouse later on. While having a good mouse is important if you use a computer on any regular basis (and especially if you game), chances are the one you have now is 90% of what the logitech is on an ergonomic level. Comparitively, the standard keyboard that you're using right now is a fraction as comfortable as a good ergonomic. You'll notice a much bigger difference between the two keyboards in use than you will between the two mice unless the mouse you're using now is an age old ball-driven junker.

You're also a student, and with being a student comes the papers that you'll be expected to write. You'll be a lot more thankful for the keyboard upgrade than a mouse upgrade when you type out a mult-page report.
evil_smiley.gif

Down the line when you do get the mouse though, also consider the fact that to take full advantage of a good mouse, you need a good mouse pad. The major benefits of higher end mice are completely lost on a sub par mousing surface.

Sep 10, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwisatz
Get the keyboard first, then get the mouse later on. While having a good mouse is important if you use a computer on any regular basis (and especially if you game), chances are the one you have now is 90% of what the logitech is on an ergonomic level. Comparitively, the standard keyboard that you're using right now is a fraction as comfortable as a good ergonomic. You'll notice a much bigger difference between the two keyboards in use than you will between the two mice unless the mouse you're using now is an age old ball-driven junker.

You're also a student, and with being a student comes the papers that you'll be expected to write. You'll be a lot more thankful for the keyboard upgrade than a mouse upgrade when you type out a mult-page report.
evil_smiley.gif

Down the line when you do get the mouse though, also consider the fact that to take full advantage of a good mouse, you need a good mouse pad. The major benefits of higher end mice are completely lost on a sub par mousing surface.

I understand your point and agree that a keyboard is more important than a mouse, but I upgraded from a run of the mill Logitec optical to a Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 and the difference is night and day. It is WAY more comfortable. It feels so much more comfortable than my old mouse. I could never go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back