Should I get V-Moda Crossfade M-80's?
Mar 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

nickum32

Head-Fier
So, I just got into the headphone game a little over a year ago with the purchase of my Phiaton MS 400's and then my Denon D2000's with a markl mod. I have loved both sets for each of their merits, each serving different purposes, but I have had climbing take an interest in the M-80's since they were released some months ago. What I want to know is whether I should either: buy them and replace my Phiaton's, or buy them and keep both portable sets. Now for my personal taste, I listen to a lot of death metal (Dethklok, In Flames' new stuff), a lot of electronic (Skrillex, Deadmau5), and some alternatice/punk type of music. My biggest gripe is with my Phiatons is their lack of highs. While I don't notice it in my electronic that much, I really miss it in my metal and alternative. I do, however, like the bloated bass and overall warm sound, which isn't really hi-fi, but that's what my Denon's are for. Anyway, based on what you read here, do my fellow Head-Fi'ers think that these headphones would be a worthwhile addition to my collection? Or do you think I just sell my Phiatons and replace them? Also, my portable source is a Zune HD w/ a Fiio e5, and my home is just a HiFiMAN EF2 coming from my PC.

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 2
The highs on the M80 should be much better compared to the Phiaton MS400.  The Phiaton products typically take a nose dive after 2kHz.  The M80 holds steady with an audible dip around 4.5kHz.  If you like bass then the M80 is for you.  They are a tad uncomfortable at first, but you simply bend the metal earpieces a touch and you get the comfort back.

Here is the M80 graph.  I could not find them for the MS400.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM80.pdf

For me the M80 was a tad boom overall.  The beyer DT1350 did a better job at controller the bass for me.  But the cost difference is significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back