Should I get the X-Fi Titanium HD for $120
Nov 23, 2012 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Foodworx

New Head-Fier
So im currently using onboard sound, standard realtek hd/nvidia hd stuff. No dac/amp. ath m50. im getting a better sound card primarily for more immersive gaming sounds (adventure/rpg, ambient sound, etc). 2ndary is music since i dont really use my comp for music. its primarily gaming. as a important note, it isnt for positional audio, its for immersive RPGs like skyrim. im wondering if its worth it or if i should get an amp or dac instead.

budget: 150

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 10

Get that card. I found it on Amazon for 108$.(Free shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Titanium-Internal-SB1270/dp/B0041OUA38

I am planning to get it most likely. It's a stellar card, you can't go wrong with it.

I plan to get an Amp with it myself, if I can find one I like. (My Headset has high impedence, 150Ohms.)

Anyways, let me tell you about my soundcard experience. People will tell you there is no need for them anymore, that Onboard sound is up to par. That it's just a waste of cash and a dying market.

I, in 2008 decided to purchase a soundcard after I built my first "Major" rig. It was a Creative X-Fi Titanium Professional. I installed it, the driver software, and thought it sounded pretty much the same. Was thinking it'd just take some time. For a few days I was really depressed, thinking I had wasted money.  In time, I forgot.

Now, I don't know when it happened, but something changed. In 2010, my Soundcard died...so I had to send it back for a replacement. I plugged back into my Onboard.

I went in-game, to Mass Effect 2, which I had been playing. I noticed something was wrong, voices sounded a little robotic, and muffled, and I had to turn up my volume another 30-40% just to hear.  Explosions were loud and music sounded bad. I was confused, but everything on my Onboard was A-OK.

So I got the replacement(Weeks later...terrible weeks.), popped it back and, and it felt like I had just gone from listening to a broken pair of speakers, to fully functioning ones that sounded great.

Also, if you use a Headset, CMSS3D is FReaking amazing. I've had to turn around at times. Also, Creative is the ONLY Soundcard vendor that can offer you Surround Sound in older games, and some newer ones that don't support it by default. Thanks to it's Creative Alchemy which can restore DirectSound.

A soundcard is something you most likely won't even notice once you start using it, but suddenly, if you ever stop using it, you notice just how much it did. I can't explain it.

Honestly the same thing happens to me with any audio equipment. I had my TV speakers replaced with a real surround sound system, A/V Receiver, all that good stuff and it sounded almost the same, of course better, but like "Wow, I did I really just spend nearly 800$ better?" , but I listened to my TV's speakers a month later to test and they sounded robotic, dull, and very synthetic. I think audio equipment is just like that?

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 10
The Creative X-Fi Titanium HD is a very high quality soundcard, both from its DAC and components used, and it is the best soundcard for gaming, be it competitive or immersive gaming, without dismissing performance with music and movies. Its headphone output handles headphones up to 330 Ohm, and don't require an additional headphone amp, considering your set of headphones.

Bottomline is, you would have to spend more than twice the price of the Titanium HD in order to get better sound quality, and that would prevent you from having any sort of gaming audio support. So yes, you should get the soundcard as it fits your needs perfectly.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
The Creative X-Fi Titanium HD is a very high quality soundcard, both from its DAC and components used, and it is the best soundcard for gaming, be it competitive or immersive gaming, without dismissing performance with music and movies. Its headphone output handles headphones up to 330 Ohm, and don't require an additional headphone amp, considering your set of headphones.

Bottomline is, you would have to spend more than twice the price of the Titanium HD in order to get better sound quality, and that would prevent you from having any sort of gaming audio support. So yes, you should get the soundcard as it fits your needs perfectly.

thank you. i was heavily debating getting an amp/dac or something else like the xonar stx or claro 2, but i wasnt sure. :) your response really helps because im new to sound cards

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Try to get it at the lowest price you can find. Ideally, you should check whether you're getting a Rev. A or a Rev. C card, with Rev. C cards being slightly more refined.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 10
crap. well, the model number amazon lists matches other retail rev. c cards. but thats anecdotal. i bought one cuz i figured that amazon wouldnt have a deal for the same item. i could be wrong tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back