Should I get the Super.fi 3?
Apr 6, 2008 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

legolas52

Head-Fier
From what I read on here, the Super.fi 3's are probably the biggest bang for the buck, but I hear some negative things as well. Some people said the body is way too long, and that it sticks out, and that it's kind of weird that you wrap the cord around your ear. Are these really big issues? And what's the cheapest price I can get 'em for?

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by legolas52 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I read on here, the Super.fi 3's are probably the biggest bang for the buck, but I hear some negative things as well. Some people said the body is way too long, and that it sticks out, and that it's kind of weird that you wrap the cord around your ear. Are these really big issues? And what's the cheapest price I can get 'em for?

I've had these for few days. Initial impressions highs and mids are very good(not great) nice detail as well. If your looking for "boomy" phones look elsewhere. These need to be pushed(EQ) to get any punchy bass. For the money you can't go wrong. If you have a local Radioshack, look there. They are a clearance item there, I picked a set up for $30 US.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

BTW These will get better with time like most sets. I ran pink noise through them overnight. No real difference with more burn in it should be noticeable. Also you need to find the right seal. I am using the double-flanged ear tips and they provide sufficient seal.

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 12
Got mine used for about 55 USD, so yeah, they're cheap and lovely!

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 12
Best sound for the money is probably the ER-6i but I don't know how durable these are. The SF3's have a replaceable cable which means they'll last pretty much indefinitely.

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 12
You may also want to consider Mylarone X3i's. They can be had for $57US from jaben.net. These are widely said to rival phones that cost twice as much. I am strongly considering these from my next set along with Audio Technica CK-7

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 12
Consider the Denon C551, $65 shipped at Amazon.

They are close to the same as the Denon C700/C751, which in nearly every comparison with the Super.fi 5 and shure SE310 (that i've read), have come out on top. A hell of a lot more bass, superior mids and lows than super.fi 3/5 (though likely close to the 5EB).

C700s are slightly larger than the C551 can be had for around $110, but from what i've read the cost increase is not worth it. The C700 has supposedly slightly clearer highs. Also the C551 are more comfortable/practical and you don't look like frankenstein walking around in your super.freakifi's

C700/C551 Thread

Machined aluminum is sturdy, cold to the touch, wonderful...

I'd recommend purchasing the Sony EX replacement tips if the seal is fine and you want more comfort, and the Koss replacement tips if you need a better seal. (koss.com $5 and sonystyle.com $8)

C551's haven't been reviewed as much, haven't received the attention that super.fi has because they came out as recently as Nov '07.

Look at my pics!

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelc87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best sound for the money is probably the ER-6i but I don't know how durable these are. The SF3's have a replaceable cable which means they'll last pretty much indefinitely.

They look delicate and fragile, but they're tough. I've had mine for almost four years now, and the only signs of age are the yellowing of the strain relief and the cables, and a little bit of wear on the cord (there's a small hole in the wire that I fixed with a bit of heatshrink).

I would recable them, since it's not that hard, but I plan on replacing them with LiveWires as soon as I reasonably can. =D

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 12
So I always hear SFP 3's have great mids and darn good highs but not too much bass. That sounds like ER4P. Out of curiosity, how does the bass and soundstage match up to an ER4P? Thanks.

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 12
After a few more days of use with my Super.fi 3's the sound is better . I've run pink noise through them overnight for about a week. The bass response is improved. I don't need to use bass boost from my D2 as much as before. Overall I like the sound of these phones, much better than my bass freq's in terms of overall sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back