Should I get the Sony MDR-XB700's
Mar 21, 2010 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dktechguy112

New Head-Fier
I have posted up here a few times, I'm looking for some decent headphones, the most important features to me are comfort and great bass. I listen to hip-hop/rap, dance, electric music. I have been doing some research and the Sony MDR-XB700's look like great headphones reviews, they seem pretty cheap, amazon has them for $80, what do you guys think about them?

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 14
I have the XB500, and they are indeed good for hip-hop, as long as you can boost the treble. Without boosting the treble, they sound pretty miserable.

I hear that the 700's are actually worse than the 500, actually.

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 14
The comfort and boomy bass they have is great, pretty confortable that i can almost sleep with them! Sounded good with my iTouch.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 14
Get them. They are very easy to drive, comfy and good bass.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCount666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the XB500, and they are indeed good for hip-hop, as long as you can boost the treble. Without boosting the treble, they sound pretty miserable.

I hear that the 700's are actually worse than the 500, actually.

Oh come on. Their bass is not THAT huge. I wouldn't recommend boosting the treble. If he wants brighter sound he should get different headphones.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh come on. Their bass is not THAT huge. I wouldn't recommend boosting the treble. If he wants brighter sound he should get different headphones.

Exactly, i never mess around making mods to the natural sound they come with, like you mention...if he likes more treble, then look for another set of cans suited for treble lovers.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #8 of 14
So, basically, what Earerror is saying is this: if you want to sound like you're listening to music underwater, while the drummer uses your head instead of a drumkit, then sure, go for them.

Psst, that's unfounded stereotyped sarcasm. I've never had a listen to the XB line, as the only time I saw them for audition (@Wallmart), the demo unit's cable was severed.

You can't read too much into them, but in this case I'll let headroom's graph do the talking:
graphCompare.php

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not saying the bass is that huge. But to me, they sound best when you boost the treble a bit. They sounded muffled otherwise.

I own them, so obviously if they stunk, I'd have just returned them. They're a lot of fun to listen to.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 14
You definitely don't need to boost the treble for the XB700. You do need to boost the bass to get the full bass though.

I would recommend them though. Great for the genres your listed. Built for those genres actually.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kukuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You definitely don't need to boost the treble for the XB700. You do need to boost the bass to get the full bass though.

The bass is already a lot louder than the rest of the spectrum, if you want deeper bass buy a better headphone.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 14
In that price range I'd go Sennheiser PX100. The bass on those little things blew me away without being exaggerated and they're easy to drive. They do take weeks to fully break in.

PS I find the Headroom graphs to be very accurate.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass is already a lot louder than the rest of the spectrum, if you want deeper bass buy a better headphone.

I never got that feeling, to me it sounds really bass light by default.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back