Should I get the Sennheiser HD 6XX?
Mar 3, 2019 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bomber82

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum so I'd like to introduce myself a little.

I'm 36 years old, I don't consider myself and audiofile but I really care for good sound quality.

My use is 33% Music, 33% movies, and 33% gaming (non competitive, I don't need crazy sound positioning, I mostly play to single player games so I just want good quality for the epic scenes and fights).

Currently I own 2 headsets, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm (my daily driver), and the Superlux HD681 EVO.

A month ago I had to buy a new DAC/amplifier, I bought a FiiO K3. I really liked the sound with the Superlux but the Amp didn't have enough power to drive the Beyerdynamic, and it didn't work on my PS4 or my TV, but just on my PC via USB, so I had to return it.

Instead I got the DAC/AMP Sound BlasterX G6, I have to say that the sound quality is very good, I slightly preferred the FiiO on the Superlux, but this can drive my Beyedynamics with no problem, so it's overall better.
Plus, it works on everything, it has an equalizer that works even if I use it on the PS4 or the TV, and it has Dolby Surround for movies and games. So, for my use it's really the best choice.

Now, I've come to wonder, are my Beyerdynamics the best cans under 200 for my usage?

I heard a lot of good things about the Massdrop Sennheiser HD 6XX, for what I understood, the sound is less V shaped, wit more mids and sounds less "metallic".

I love my Beyerdynamics for the clarity I get from them, and also a good but not exaggerated bass they're really exciting to listen. I even equalized them a little to get a little less harshness from the highs, but yes, they do sound a little bit metallic.
I don't really like flat or monitor headphones, I like to listen to rock, pop, electronic, metal, hip hop.

For music what I want in an headphone is a good bass that doesn't cover other frequencies, great highs and great guitar sound, and good separation and detail.

For movies and games, I think my needs are pretty similar, since like I said I don't need crazy directional sound, and I can use Dolby Headphones. So I guess A good bass, clear highs and a large soundstage are the important things, but correct me if I'm wrong.

So, my question: do you guys think the HD 6xx would be better suited for my use than the DT 990 Pro?

Do I already have the best under 200 cans for my use?

Or is there another option?

Please don't suggest headphones that need mods or that are discontinued, since I don't want to buy used.

Thanks so much to everyone who will reply!

Mar 3, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 10
Ciao e benvenuto :)
Under 200 euros there are many good headphones that are better than dt990 pro (I had them too), in italy as we are it's a trick to buy from massdrop because you will have to pay the extra fees which means roughly with shipment + 30% of the original cost, forget soundstage because the whole Senn family hd600 - hd650 and hd6xx just don't have any.
Just to mention few alternatives actually prefer Audio Technica MSR7 because they are neutral, fantastic detail but not a stunning soundstage (150 euro). Another option very comfortable with good bass, V shaped sound and amazing soundstage are Philips Fidelio X2, with less bass but with more detail Sennheiser HD598.

good luck

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 10
If you are interested in a v-shaped sig, you are guaranteed to be disappointed in the HD650/6XX. Their response is just not v in shape. Ditto the above remark about soundstage, which is quite intimate on the 6's. In your price range, one that has a subtle v shape response is the SoundMAGIC HP151. Really good sounding headphone, IMO better than your 990. Worth checking out.

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 10
Ciao JediMa70 grazie mille :)

Hi serman006 thank you for your reply!

So, about the SoundMAGIC HP151 and the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, they are closed back design (or are they? Are the Audio Technica semi-open?).

Usually I like open back sound a lot, and I don't need isolation: do you still recommend them or there is an open back alternative? And between the two, what are the differences?

The Philips Fidelio X2 seems amazing but I can't find them at under 200, the HD598 seems a lot what I was searching (open back, great detail), I could have more bass with the EQ probably...I never looked at them because I always thought the bigger brothers HD6xx were better, I guess I was wrong. The only thing is, I like a good bass, not too much and it has to be precise, but I like it. From what i read, the HD598 have really little bass and I don't know if an EQ could fix it.

JediMa70, could you please give me an idea of the differences between the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 and the HD581, and why they are better than the DT990 Pro?

serman006, do you have also an open back reccomendation?
I know it's not easy at 200, but my ideal headphone would be an open back with good and precise bass, non overwelming but present for movies and games, crystal sounding highs (but not fatiguing), and good soundstage, which I believed it's hard to have with closed back, but it seems that the ATH-MSR7 have better soundstage than the HD650, so I'm confused :D

Also, what do you guys think of the AKG K701 and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X ?

Thanks Guys

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 10
So, about the SoundMAGIC HP151 and the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, they are closed back design (or are they? Are the Audio Technica semi-open?).
They are closed back , both of them.
Back to what you like, stretching a bit your budget you can get what you want with this one, excellent detail, wide soundstage, good bass, they play any genre in a fantastic way plus rock with them is simply terrific!
https://www.amazon.it/AKG-2458X0014...F8&qid=1551730210&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+712+pro
About fidelio they cost 183 euro used on amazon Warehouse (ottime condizioni which means NEW) https://www.amazon.it/Philips-Fidel...TF8&qid=1551730310&sr=8-1&keywords=fidelio+x2

JediMa70, could you please give me an idea of the differences between the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 and the HD581, and why they are better than the DT990 Pro?
Well HD581 are good for the price but they can't over perform higher headphones, detail is just worse. About DT990 pro ,they have better soundstage, poor bass, nice details, bit sharp highs, while ATH have unbeatable detail, nice smooth bass, very neutral sounding, worse soundstage, clear but not sharp highs.

Feel free to PM me if you want some extra info :)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 10
Ciao JediMa70 grazie mille :)

Hi serman006 thank you for your reply!

Usually I like open back sound a lot, and I don't need isolation: do you still recommend them or there is an open back alternative? And between the two, what are the differences?

The Philips Fidelio X2 seems amazing but I can't find them at under 200, the HD598 seems a lot what I was searching (open back, great detail), I could have more bass with the EQ probably...I never looked at them because I always thought the bigger brothers HD6xx were better, I guess I was wrong. The only thing is, I like a good bass, not too much and it has to be precise, but I like it. From what i read, the HD598 have really little bass and I don't know if an EQ could fix it.

serman006, do you have also an open back reccomendation?
I know it's not easy at 200, but my ideal headphone would be an open back with good and precise bass, non overwelming but present for movies and games, crystal sounding highs (but not fatiguing), and good soundstage, which I believed it's hard to have with closed back, but it seems that the ATH-MSR7 have better soundstage than the HD650, so I'm confused :D

Also, what do you guys think of the AKG K701 and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X ?

Thanks Guys
Yeah, it is so confusing. The HD 6-series of headphones all have a much more intimate stage than something like the AKG 7-series, for example. A K701, K702, or Q701, for example, would be really good (you'll have to hunt prices down and may need to look at the used market), I think, but you must have an amp. It doesn't have to be an expensive one, something like a Magni 3 will do just fine. Otherwise and other than the X2, I think you are probably looking at an HD598 or HD599 or a SoundMAGIC HP200 (those are all open). All of these have stages that better the Senn 6-series, IMO, and none requires an amp. Your big issue to decide is amp or no amp. Your decision will flow from there, as there are good options for each.

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 10
I had an HD600 for about ten years and I wouldn't recommend it for your purposes. It won't play that very solid quality that guitars can produce. I think you'll be missing the same kind of thing with your movies. It can play amazingly deep bass though, which is interesting in some movies -- I remember the first Star Trek movie and the very, very low rumble of the ship itself. I also had HD545 -- if you want a 600 but want to spend less money look for one of them used. They look a lot better (lots), and I can't tell the difference except maybe in the very lowest bass. I would have been equally satisfied with either. I just listen to classical 99% of the time.

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 10
Yeah, it is so confusing. The HD 6-series of headphones all have a much more intimate stage than something like the AKG 7-series, for example. A K701, K702, or Q701, for example, would be really good (you'll have to hunt prices down and may need to look at the used market), I think, but you must have an amp. It doesn't have to be an expensive one, something like a Magni 3 will do just fine. Otherwise and other than the X2, I think you are probably looking at an HD598 or HD599 or a SoundMAGIC HP200 (those are all open). All of these have stages that better the Senn 6-series, IMO, and none requires an amp. Your big issue to decide is amp or no amp. Your decision will flow from there, as there are good options for each.

I have a pretty good amp im the DAC, for example, it drives my DD 990 Pro 250 OHMS easily, 50% of the volume is my max limit, usually I listed at 40%.

Right now, Im trying to decide between the AKG 712,and the 701 since there are 100€ of difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back