Should I get the Rio Karma?
Sep 30, 2007 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

nonamebrand

Head-Fier
Right now I have no mp3 player, nothing. I know somebody selling their Rio Karma for $85. The HD was replaced last year and the Karma has only been used a few times since. Cosmetically the condition is 6/10 and functionality is 10/10.

I was also considering getting the PA2V2 as my first pocket amp. Would this be a good combo?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 19
For $85, I say go for it. My only concern would be the age and condition of the battery. You don't want to get stuck with something that won't hold a charge.

As far as the amp goes, forget it, you won't need it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 19
Like many people, I've had a bad experience with the Rio Karma: the HD drive died after 3 months.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like many people, I've had a bad experience with the Rio Karma: the HD drive died after 3 months.

For a hard drive that was replaced just last year, I wouldn't worry about this one bit.

The one remaining factor that could potentially kill the new drive is the dreaded swollen battery syndrome. If your friend is comfortable with opening it up, you'll want to make absolutely positively sure the battery is completely flat. In some Karmas, the two battery cells swell, pressing up against and killing the otherwise healthy hard drive. If the battery is swollen, steer clear and shop around for something new.

My Karma, one of the early batches I got for Christmas in '03, didn't have this problem and served me well for 3 and a half years. However I have seen a swollen battery, and it's not pretty.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 19
Thanks for both of your replies. From what I understand, I'm taking a risk because the player might break on me. I should also consider the condition of the battery. The plus side is that I wouldn't need to buy or carry around a pocket amp.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 19
I don't think an amp is necessary if you have Karma. First Karma has very powerful and quality output, perhaps best in all DAPs. On the other hand it is already somewhat bulky.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 19
Karma was one of the best players but the HDD failure rate was high.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 19
Thanks RubenNYC, so whether or not the battery is swollen, is the main factor here. Well if the HD was replaced, could have been because of the battery. Do we know what is causing the batteries to swell? Defective batteries? Or defective Karmas? If it's a defective battery, then I could replace the battery and hope for a good one. But if it's the Karma causing this, then I guess it's a no-go.

stchenhua: No amp is really needed, but it's a bulky player so it's like carrying around an amp. I would using this daily on the subway and bus ride to the campus. Where would I put it? I guess in my jeans pocket, if it would fit. What if I wanted to use the AKG K701s? Would I need to use an amp then?

stan11003: So basically I should expect a lemon and not get my hopes up.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonamebrand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks RubenNYC, so whether or not the battery is swollen, is the main factor here. Well if the HD was replaced, could have been because of the battery. Do we know what is causing the batteries to swell? Defective batteries? Or defective Karmas? If it's a defective battery, then I could replace the battery and hope for a good one. But if it's the Karma causing this, then I guess it's a no-go.

You got it. And I don't think anyone ever determined the cause. So, yeah, it's a risk. Like I said, if the battery's swollen, stay away.

I found it too big to stick in a pocket. I'd recommend trying to get a hold of a Technohm Karma case, which has a built-in belt clip. (Already sold mine.) IMHO, what some people call "bulky" I call ergonomic perfection.
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 19
K240M (600Ohm) on my Karma is good, actually Karma can drive them with less difficulty. I cannot ask for more on a portable device. But I don't think using K701 outside is a good idea. Its isolation is poor. Why not using a decent sound card as source when at home?

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 19
Thanks for you for the quick replies and advice RubenNYC. I will definitely steer clear if the battery is swollen. Besides the wasted money risk, there is also the risk of bodily harm...If I have a bad Karma in the Technohm Karma case attached to my belt...Well let's just say I wouldn't be having comforting thoughts. Sadly I might still consider SQ over well being of goods.
icon10.gif

I'm doing my research now on www.riovolution.com (I see your posts there). But in the end, if the battery is swollen, I'm out.

stchenhua: so the Karma could drive the AKG K701, better so than most players, but they aren't closed cans, so they wouldn't be good for transit commuting. Probably much like my SR60s, which annoy everybody on the transit because of the leakage and which I also can't appreciate because of all the outside noise coming in. I only use my K81s for commuting now, but I always find myself longing for my SR60s. If only there was a closed can that had the Grado signature sound. Since I travel daily, I guess I'm looking for a closed can, as I would use those most.

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 19
Also check out Riovolution.org, especially if you have additional questions.

(Riovolution.com is moribund thanks to the founder going MIA. All the regulars migrated to .org.)

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #13 of 19
My primary objection to the Karmas are bulk and comparatively low capacity compared to ipods. I can't match the sound of a Karma playing Flac files, using rockbox, from a 5.5G Ipod yet.

All the problems like battery, new hard drive, etc, are easily solveable on ebay with new parts and relatively cheaply.

I did go the extrme route on one of mine and replaced the hard drive with a 16gb CF card. That works fine.

I now have a couple 80gb G5.5 Ipods and do love the capacity. Now I'm more socially acceptable at the gym when listening on my KSC75's. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the clean bass I get from a Karma out of an Ipod.

I don't want to go with an outboard amp but MIGHT.

I'm sure up for suggestions!

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 19
My opinion concerning HDD mp3 players is " Do not use with physical activities", ie, bike riding, jogging, skiing, etc.

I think they are great for static activities: in a chair,sofa, at the computer etc..

regards,

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryVale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My primary objection to the Karmas are bulk and comparatively low capacity compared to ipods. I can't match the sound of a Karma playing Flac files, using rockbox, from a 5.5G Ipod yet.

All the problems like battery, new hard drive, etc, are easily solveable on ebay with new parts and relatively cheaply.

I did go the extrme route on one of mine and replaced the hard drive with a 16gb CF card. That works fine.

Excuse me while I drool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryVale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now have a couple 80gb G5.5 Ipods and do love the capacity. Now I'm more socially acceptable at the gym when listening on my KSC75's. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the clean bass I get from a Karma out of an Ipod.

I don't want to go with an outboard amp but MIGHT.

I'm sure up for suggestions!

Who cares about social acceptance when you've got the beauty that is flash Karma?!?! The only way you'll get comparable SQ out of the iPod is to make it even bulkier than the Karma. Instead, work on crafting a decent gym-friendly case for the Karma and treat your ears to something nobody else at your gym even knew was possible.

Long live Rio Karma!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back