Should I Get the O2+ODAC (revB) DAC/Amplifier or...
Dec 18, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #17 of 26
PC > ODAC (with USB cable) > RCA interconnects to > O2.

If you get an all in one unit like the o2+odac then it's a simple USB cable from PC to the unit.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'what is the gain?'

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #19 of 26
So just PC to USB and phone to O2. Ok.

By gain I mean 1x or 6x.

Use low gain setting for headphones around 50 to 60-Ohm or less.
Headphones around 80 to 100-Ohms or high would use the high gain.
but it's not an exact science.
Headphones like the 62-Ohm AKGs like a lot of power, so would want to use the high gain.

Setting to the low or high gain can also be just be a personal preference.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #20 of 26
So just PC to USB and phone to O2. Ok.

By gain I mean 1x or 6x.

Use low gain setting for headphones around 50 to 60-Ohm or less.
Headphones around 80 to 100-Ohms or high would use the high gain.
but it's not an exact science.
Headphones like the 62-Ohm AKGs like a lot of power, so would want to use the high gain.

Setting to the low or high gain can also be just be a personal preference.

Well for mobile use, I'd say the A200P is a good way to go, for home PC use the o2/oDac combo is a great way to start 

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #21 of 26
  There shouldn't really be an appreciable difference between the O2+ODAC vs discrete components.  However, I found the O2+ODAC to be too dry and analytical.  The JDS Labs Element may be a better all-in-one choice or a Schiit Modi 2 (Uber) & Magni 2 (Uber) stack for raw power vs the O2+ODAC.

Yeah,  Massdrop has their own version of the O2+ODAC (separate and combo set) on their site right now for $199. Which is not a bad price.  But I was really looking into the Schiit Modi 2Uber and Magni 2 Uber which is about $100 more.  plus I would get the Schiit stack way faster than the Massdrop, which is not shipping until Jan 29th I think.  I have always wanted to try the O2+ODAC but people either love it or hate.  I also was very interested in the new Vali 2 tube amp, but after reading some things on the forums here.  I am seeing that its not a great fit at all for low impedance headphones.  which in my case I have more of. 

Maybe I should just wait for the M9XX to drop again.  I think you may tell that I am a mass drop addict. lol   I think buysonic.com has some Dac/Amps on their site I may check out as well.  

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #22 of 26

Yeah,  Massdrop has their own version of the O2+ODAC (separate and combo set) on their site right now for $199. Which is not a bad price.  But I was really looking into the Schiit Modi 2Uber and Magni 2 Uber which is about $100 more.  plus I would get the Schiit stack way faster than the Massdrop, which is not shipping until Jan 29th I think.  I have always wanted to try the O2+ODAC but people either love it or hate.  I also was very interested in the new Vali 2 tube amp, but after reading some things on the forums here.  I am seeing that its not a great fit at all for low impedance headphones.  which in my case I have more of. 

Maybe I should just wait for the M9XX to drop again.  I think you may tell that I am a mass drop addict. lol   I think buysonic.com has some Dac/Amps on their site I may check out as well.  

What, I've got a vali 2 with me now an it's great for Low Gain headphones, my TH X00 an W1000x have no issues out of it! 

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #24 of 26
  then i may have to purchase the vali 2 then!

I think'd you enjoy it ^^ though honestly for low impedance headphones the Garage 1217 Starlight has a blacker background than the Vali 2 :D [MONKEY WRENCH] 

Jan 16, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #25 of 26
Found this old thread during my search for something like the O2/ODAC combo. Thought also about a stack or one integrated unit but then realized something. As we're talking more and more about only digital audio formats, we also have to talk about the speed of change/evolution in the digital world. Right now something like MQA and so is evolving and older DACs might not be ready for this. That's why I will go for a stack, the O2 headphone amp seems to be a classic which I might use longer than a DAC. In the future, a new digital audio format or whatever might force me to change the DAC and I can keep my amp.

Just my two cents, this question seems to be more frequently, at last I was searching also for an answer and found this thread ^^.

Oct 19, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #26 of 26
The O2 is very powerful (drives K702 beyond ear bleeding) with low distortion and a very quiet power supply. Extremely transparent and effortless to the point of having no character whatsoever. A reference standard that everyone should have. Did I mention how loud and clean it can play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back