Should I Get the O2+ODAC (revB) DAC/Amplifier or...
Dec 13, 2015 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

iBrian

Formerly known as oleWhiskey, bwrian
Should I get the O2+ODAC (revB) DAC/Amplifier  or the separate Objective 2 (O2) Headphone Amplifier and Objective DAC (ODAC revB) ?

I will be using this with my Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro's, AKG K7XX, Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back,  and my Fostex TH-X00's and it will be running from my Mac desktops

I have heard good things about the ODAC and AMP.   Just wondering if I should get the combo. Will there be a difference getting that vs the separate devices.  I know that if I get the separate  devices that I can purchase different Amps and continue to use the ODAC,  however I could just use the ODAC from the combo...   What do you all think?

Or is there another DAC or AMP or combo that would fit these headphones.  I know hat everyone has a different sound stage they really like, but I would love to hear others feedback.

Please don't hate me.   I am cheating and using my Bose Companion 5 series as the DAC/AMP.   Badum tsh!

Thanks for the feedback

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 26
  Should I get the O2+ODAC (revB) DAC/Amplifier  or the separate Objective 2 (O2) Headphone Amplifier and Objective DAC (ODAC revB) ?
I will be using this with my Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro's, AKG K7XX, Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back,  and my Fostex TH-X00's
I have heard good things about the ODAC and AMP.   Just wondering if I should get the combo. Will there be a difference getting that vs the separate devices.  I know that if I get the separate  devices that I can purchase different Amps and continue to use the ODAC,  however I could just use the ODAC from the combo...   What do you all think?
Or is there another DAC or AMP or combo that would fit these headphones.  I know hat everyone has a different sound stage they really like, but I would love to hear others feedback.
Please don't hate me.   I am cheating and using my Bose Companion 5 series as the DAC/AMP.   Badum tsh!

The ODAC/O2 sold on Massdrop comes with dual function (RCA) line jacks.
The RCA jacks can function as a line-output, so you can just use the DAC feature.
Or the RCAs can also act as line-input, so your only using the amp feature.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-odac

So I think the Massdrop ODAC/O2 is a great deal :)

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 26
Yeah that's what I'm looking at. The seperate devices come out being the same price. Unless I go with a different gain. I am trying to figure out if I really should go with the separate dac and amp since the input is a 3.5 mm. I don't mind but I heard that the port can only take up to 2,000 inserts until it could fail. I have tons of .25 inch adaptor so can just leave in there and have it last way longer

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 26
Yeah that's what I'm looking at. The desperate devices come out being the same price. Unless I go with a different gain. I am trying to figure out if I really should go with the separate dac and amp since the input is a 3.5 mm. I don't mind but I heard that the port can only take up to 2,000 inserts until it could fail. I have tons of .25 inch adaptor so can just leave in there and have it last way longer

There is no 3.5mm (1/8") jack on the Massdrop ODAC/O2.
It has a USB port, two RCA and a 6.35mm (1/4") headphone jack.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-odac

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 26
Ha,  after searching these forums and researching other DAC/AMPS  i am interested in .  I notice that it seems that the O2 and ODAC is a touchy subject since it comes form someone that seemed to leave a bad impression on some.   I think that is why I haven't received more than one response.

Thanks PurpleAngel for your response! btw

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #6 of 26
  Ha,  after searching these forums and researching other DAC/AMPS  i am interested in .  I notice that it seems that the O2 and ODAC is a touchy subject since it comes form someone that seemed to leave a bad impression on some.   I think that is why I haven't received more than one response.

JDS Lab O2+ODAC was my first head-fi dac/amp. I paid $399 for it. I paired it with DT880 initially, then later with HD650. For 2 months I was happy and thought that is all I need. It probably would have been had I not chance on a tube amp call Darkvoice 336se 2nd hand for $260. SO i bought that tube amp and immediately fell in love with the tube sound. For the first time, I realise how lean and brittle sounding the O2+ODAC was. Despite it being neutral, it was hardly musical compared to the cheap tube amp.

Anyway, my thirst for head-fi was going at 100 miles per hour. A month later I ordered Elise by Feliks Audio. It's a gorgeous sounding tube amp for $649.I'm currently listening to my HE560 and HD650 through Elise and the sound is unbelievable. It's been 2 solid months now with Elise and I have never for a minute feel that I needed to upgrade again.

Sadly I sold my 1st headphone amp, the O2+ODAC for $330, a lost of $70 after 2 months. If you had ask me at the beginning if I would have known this will happen, I'd said not a chance. However this is how it panned out. Why am I telling you this? Well I hope if you spring for the O2+ODAC, that is what you really want. Don't end up like me selling it after 2 months. Then again you might be different and love it and keep it forever. It's not a bad piece of kit but compared to tube amp sound that I have now, there's no way I'd return to solid state.

Best,
UT

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #7 of 26
Im in the process of deciding on a amp for my pair of T1.. Since you had first hand experience with the Darkvoice 336se, would you say its one of the better options for this price range?

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 26
  Im in the process of deciding on a amp for my pair of T1.. Since you had first hand experience with the Darkvoice 336se, would you say its one of the better options for this price range?

Darkvoice 336se pairs perfectly with my HD650 and DT880 250 ohms. Perfect synergy. I've not tried it with a T1 which is 600 ohms but I can't see why it wouldn't power the T1. OTL amps are perfect for high impedance HP. Oh yes I remember now. Someone I know use his DT990 600ohms with his DV336se and loves it. So there you go..should be fine with T1.

However if you can step up in price to $649, the Elise is incredible with T1. It's a perfect pairing.

If you buy the DV336se, be prepared to upgrade the stock tubes, which sounds crap. Nice economy tubes for DV336se would be a Sylvania 6SN7GTB chrome top with RCA 6AS7G. If you want better sound, get a Tung Sol 5998 with a 7N7 and adapter.

If you head over to the Darkvoice 336se tube rolling thread part 2, you'll see a lot of my tube combinations there for DV. With pictures. If you're keen on the Elise, head over to the Elise thread where I'm an active thread member.

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #9 of 26

JDS Lab O2+ODAC was my first head-fi dac/amp. I paid $399 for it. I paired it with DT880 initially, then later with HD650. For 2 months I was happy and thought that is all I need. It probably would have been had I not chance on a tube amp call Darkvoice 336se 2nd hand for $260. SO i bought that tube amp and immediately fell in love with the tube sound. For the first time, I realise how lean and brittle sounding the O2+ODAC was. Despite it being neutral, it was hardly musical compared to the cheap tube amp.

Anyway, my thirst for head-fi was going at 100 miles per hour. A month later I ordered Elise by Feliks Audio. It's a gorgeous sounding tube amp for $649.I'm currently listening to my HE560 and HD650 through Elise and the sound is unbelievable. It's been 2 solid months now with Elise and I have never for a minute feel that I needed to upgrade again.

Sadly I sold my 1st headphone amp, the O2+ODAC for $330, a lost of $70 after 2 months. If you had ask me at the beginning if I would have known this will happen, I'd said not a chance. However this is how it panned out. Why am I telling you this? Well I hope if you spring for the O2+ODAC, that is what you really want. Don't end up like me selling it after 2 months. Then again you might be different and love it and keep it forever. It's not a bad piece of kit but compared to tube amp sound that I have now, there's no way I'd return to solid state.

Best,
UT

The JDS Labs oDac was my first Dac as well, I used a Matrix M Stage amp, either way I like the JDS Labs products an customer service! I would definatley get their combo unit 

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 26

I do not think much negative stuff (if any?) has been said about the ODAC & O2 hardware & design itself, it was Lord Voldemort (He who shall not be named) the guy behind the design, that had "issues".

Feel free to read up on the ODAC O2.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/616331/o2-amp-odac

I really doubt your going to find a better value, then the Massdrop ODAC/O2 (Rev B).

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 26

I do not think much negative stuff (if any?) has been said about the ODAC & O2 hardware & design itself, it was Lord Voldemort (He who shall not be named) the guy behind the design, that had "issues".

Feel free to read up on the ODAC O2.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/616331/o2-amp-odac

I really doubt your going to find a better value, then the Massdrop ODAC/O2 (Rev B).

Yea there was ONE guy who's blog isn't even active any more who took issue with it

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 26
Whilst I had the JDS Lab O2+ODAC, my son has the Schitt Modi 2 Uber and Schitt Magni 2 Uber. They don't sound that different to me but for some reason I prefer the O2+ODAC. Sound is really clean and neutral. No coloration whatsoever. It's also dead silent between songs. With no music playing and volume to max, it's still dead silent. I love it for it's compactness, both DAC and AMP in one unit and the styling appeals to me. There is ample power to drive my HD650 and DT880. I have no doubt it will drive 600ohms HP.

As I said, if I didn't fall in love with tube amp sound, I would definitely have kept the O2+DAC. I even had the limited edition version which have the big headphone jack and RCA out behind. That unit looks like it's made to last.

On hindsight maybe I should have kept it for travelling. I was able to connect my iPod 160Gb to it. Really convenient.

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #13 of 26
Thinking about getting either the o2(amp/dac) or possibly a schiit stack or a schiit valhalla first. Would be for my grado 60 (and grado upgrades) and dt770 250 so far. Looked at tubes but they seem to be out of my price range atm.

Would the o2 be a decent thing to start with considering my existing phones (currently powering through topping nx2)?

Cheers,

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 26
You can't go wrong with either the o2+odac or the Schitt stack. For the price, it has everything you need plus the power to drive any headphones. It drove my DT880 250ohms so well. Volume knob was only at 9am. At 10am it's loud. Sound is very clean and detail. It will drive your DT770 easily. I have no experience with Grado headphones.

Unless you get bitten by the tube amp bug, you should be happy with either of those for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back