should i get the moto droid or is the incredible too incredible?
May 27, 2010 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
well, amazon has the moto droid for $20; damn that's hot. not to mention when i sell my and my mom's iphones we'll probably get $500 off ebay. contract not quite up yet with ATT, but term fee only $80.

basically, if the incredible is just too good, then i'll wait till my contract comes out and i can get a deal cuz there's no way i'm paying $200, especially since we're talking getting two droid's for $40, or two incred's for $400.

i don't think i can get family plan off amazon, but what we did before when we got iphones was: got them both refurb's for $50 at christmas year and half ago; have to wait a month and THEN can transfer plan to family plan under my mom's university discount plan.

I actually think i like the droid better; i like the heft, the look, the feel. and the few extra pixels is nice; i hear the incredible's screen is beautiful indoors but sucks outdoors; i find that a serious problem. also i don't like the curvy back of it. as far as camera's i could care less, in fact 8MP on incredible is too **** much for cellphone, only means smaller pixels on sensor; i'd actually RATHER have the 5MP camera on droid..........maybe

but the main thing that's got my bothered is the processors. basically the droid has 550mhz and the incred has double that 1ghz, jesus, i still have a laptop that's a little over 1ghz (my pentium III IBM x30 laptop i run basic linux on; it's my "writer's" laptop, and you'd have to pry it from me, because it's light, small, solid as a rock (when new as like $3k) and has best keyboard on god's green earth............but i digress; i've heard the incred has some more fancy stuff that sucks up the processor though, so maybe not a big deal

i think in the end i just like the droid more, and i want it now, so i'll get them for $20 off amazon and terminate verizon plan; who knows when that amazon deal will go away, but clearly they're making room for incredible

the extra pixels on droid and the fact that the incredible screen sucks outside also sound good; i looked at cragslist on my iphoe and on a droid side by side; readable on droid, not on iphone; those extra pixels matter. battery life also better on droid and even though it is not the greatest keyboard, it does actually have a physical one

let me know your thoughts

May 27, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 8
The droid uses the same processor as the iphone 3GS I believe, which is still very fast for a smartphone. The difference in power may be negligible depending on how you use your phone. I actually prefer AMOLED screens over LCD, but I'm a multimedia whore who spends most of his time indoors. 

I'd wait, deals (particularly for new subscribers) often come up for smartphones. It's very well possible than you could the Incredible for very cheap or even free sometime in the near future, just makes sure to check out your favorite smartphone blogs. 

May 27, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 8
perhaps; honestly though, i really am just not vibing on the incredible; i like the blocky look of the droid; the incredible just doesn't really do it for me, just completely aesthetic-wise, personally; but i guess the other big question is whether there are other phones coming down the line that are even better

i like HTC better than moto generally speaking, but the droid has had some good time now to show its flaws, and it seems most people are really happy with it; i'd never guinea pig anything

May 29, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 8
I've got the motorola droid (and I love it), but if I were going to get a new phone now it would be the Incredible. I really like having the physical keyboard and I think I would miss it, but the faster processor is big, and it's a noticeable difference. The user interface is better and it's lighter as well.  If you can, go to a verizon store and check them both out. My vote is for the incredible, though. If you want to wait, the next wave of android phones on verizon should be coming out in the next few months, and you might find one with a keyboard and the faster processor. If you look on engadget, they have a bunch of stories on upcoming android phones.

May 29, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 8
but the 1ghz processor is exactly why the incredible has such **** battery life; i also reallly like the extra pixels on the moto droid. 54x480 is actually a lot of pixels to add width. the simple truth is that until 4g blankets the nation, and that'll be 5 years at least probably, there's no go-around for the speed vs battery life problem. li-ion batteries are the same. and if you read reviews that actually took the incredible OUTSIDE, they say clearly that it's unreadable in sunlight. i think i'll stick with the moto droid for $20, but i'll go to the store and try em all out before i decide

and i want android, i want open source, and i love google; apple is becoming the next MS, and i'm glad to dump them. i want an open platform, and can't wait till chrome OS actually makes sense...........netbooks and laptops will merge; you'll have a netbook-sized laptop with a dual core proc, stepped down a bit for heat and bat life of course, 4gb of ram, 100gb flash drive, most stuff in the cloud, touch screen tablet style, and i think apple and google/linux are gonna make it right and in time it'll topple FINALLY the MS monopoly of mother f'ing windows

ps:..............guess headfi doesn't star-out swear words anymore, eh?

May 31, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 8
If you haven't bought your droid yet here it is for a buck 
http://www.gamerhotline.com/droid-by-motorola/

edit: nevermind it expired yesterday

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 8
I love my Incredible. I do plan on getting a better battery though. It is usable outside in the sun if you crank the brightness, especially if you are just doing a little thing here and there. The Moto Droid is a brick but the price is nice and if you like it, i'm sure it will hold you over for a bit. The Inc has the really nice HTC Sense user interface which I like a lot better than the Moto Droid UI. One cool thing about the Android phones is that the hacking community is very active and if your phone doesn't do what you need it to do, you can root it very easily (basically swap out the version of the operating system). I haven't done this, but it seems very easy and I'll check it out if there seems to be something worthwhile in the future. I got a lot of information from androidforums.com and a more general phone web site is howardforums.com

Since you are here at head-fi, I'll point out that the Android OS doesn't seem to have the ability to adjust sound with an equalizer. Here is a thread on the subject:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/48514-music-equalizer-eq.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back