Should I Get the Cowon D2+ or the IAudio 7?
Apr 2, 2009 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Starsky5000

500+ Head-Fier
Hello. i'm seriously thinking about getting either the Cowon D2+ or the IAudio 7.

I'm looking for EXCELLENT Audio Quality 1st. All my music is encoded in FLAC.

Also long battery life will be a plus.

Which sounds better the D2+ or the Cowon IAudio 7????

I don't care about video, text, etc...just the BEST sound possible. All my songs are ripped in FLAC off my cds.

I can get a new IAudio 7 4GB for $99 (comes with a case & ac charger & free shipping).

The Cowon D2+ will cost me about $140 plus i gotta purchase a screen protector & case. But i don't mind if i can get better sound quality outta the D2+ than the Iaudio 7.

Any comments appreciated. Good, Bad or Ugly.

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 15
Dang it, I really need to write a review for the i7 for these types of threads.

In short, I returned my D2 (not D2+) for a 16GB iAudio 7 and could not possibly be happier. The i7 is everything I need in a portable player; small, fantastic audio quality, VERY good battery, easy interface, and simple drag and drop file transfers. The i7 sounds significantly better than the D2 IMHO, FLAC sounds awesome paired with my Custom 3's.

The D2 was just too delicate and the touch screen was a nightmare, especially while driving. I knew that I needed something more durable to use in the gym & mountain biking and the D2 was not it. I was too afraid of scratching the screen, or damaging it.

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 15
the d2 has a poor interface but it is not as noisy from the headphone port. the ia7 hisses more but it all depends on what you want. they both are decent performers for sq so - if hiss does not matter, the longer battery life, better size and ui in the ia7 may be better. however, a cleaner headphone out if important should point you to the d2

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 15
Go for the iAudio7 if music is your 1st priority.
Go for the D2 if you want video and all that stuff. And also if 16 GB is not enough, since D2 has a memory card slot.

I bought the iAudio7, and I'm very happy with my choice. Great detailed sound and superb battery life. I hear absolutely NO hiss with my Triple.fi's on sound level 20(50 max) with EQ off. I had a Nano and it hissed signifcantly.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 15
+2 on the D2+ having the SDHC card slot for expandability (FLAC eats space).

The D2+ is smaller than it looks, it'll fit in your shirt pocket or on an armband.
I listen to FLAC on it and couldn't be happier. I'm still amazed by the battery life too. Go for the 16GB version. You may not care about video right now, but if you're ever travelling or spending time with the in-laws, it comes in handy. Plus the BBE+ sound enhancements work for videos too
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 15
Black D+ looks amazing, but I would defenately go for i7. It's smaller, has better SQ, is quite solid. I give my vote for i7.

Apr 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 15
The D2+ does look STUNNING! But does the i7 really have better SQ?

Most important what about their sound D2+ VS. i7 Sound Quality? Do they differ at all. And which sounds better?

Apr 2, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 15
Also - the D2+ uses BBE+ enhancements, and if you've been following the firmware threads over at iAudiophile and ABI, the D2 users who are applying the D2+ firmware are remarking that the BBE+ sounds better than BBE. Plus the D2+ has a stronger amp than the i7, so I really don't see how the i7 would have "better" SQ.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 15
I wonder if the i7 has bass roll off (when matched with lower iMP phones) like the D2.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello. i'm seriously thinking about getting either the Cowon D2+ or the IAudio 7.

I'm looking for EXCELLENT Audio Quality 1st. All my music is encoded in FLAC.

Also long battery life will be a plus.

Which sounds better the D2+ or the Cowon IAudio 7????

I don't care about video, text, etc...just the BEST sound possible. All my songs are ripped in FLAC off my cds.

I can get a new IAudio 7 4GB for $99 (comes with a case & ac charger & free shipping).

The Cowon D2+ will cost me about $140 plus i gotta purchase a screen protector & case. But i don't mind if i can get better sound quality outta the D2+ than the Iaudio 7.

Any comments appreciated. Good, Bad or Ugly.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ha...lkmans-417375/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/sh...-d2-d2-417165/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ha...won-d2-391301/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/co...-i-get-310783/

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 15
Cowon Iaudio 7 MP3 Player Lab Tests. - PC World

this article seems to encourage the view that the ia7 too has some steep bass roll off. but then, with a softer processor and more distortion, it will sound more pleasing to a vast majority of people. many players that have high levels of distortion get great ratings across audiophile boards so this may fit the bill. it depends on your tastes rather than actual sound quality. unless quality refers to characteristics rather than performance.

for performance, the ia7 is not that good at all, but not dearly bad.

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #13 of 15
I7 only for music playback (the screen is too small for videos).
D2 for music, video, memory slot and other stuffs.

The i7 has great sound quality and great battery life, and definitively NO hiss in my long listening sessions.

Apr 3, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #14 of 15
Can you add album cover art to the i7? If so how?

Apr 3, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you add album cover art to the i7? If so how?

Yes.

I use Mp3tag; load album (Add Directory in File menu) into Mp3tag, find the artwork (search any of the options in Tag Sources menu), tag image to file (right click the found image and select Save To Tag).

There will be a hundred other ways that work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back