should i get the cayin amp?
Feb 18, 2007 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bonethugz

500+ Head-Fier
i've been thinking getting a tube amp for a while now. after some search here. at first, i thought about the little dot one then i read the dark voice sound better. of course there's always something better. i read about cayin ha-1a. this is a very powerful amp although right now i only have a k601 and a dt990 pro. i know they need power but not like that. since i like the dt990 pro alot. i've been thinking my next upgrade probably be a 600ohm dt990. i also think hd650 may do me good too. if i can afford this 700 dollars amp, should i get this? or some other powerful amp? i don't know too much about powerful amp. doesn't really have to be a tube amp. any suggestion? the beyer one? or the ps audio one? or what else? or the dark voice it's good enough?

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been thinking getting a tube amp for a while now. after some search here. at first, i thought about the little dot one then i read the dark voice sound better. of course there's always something better. i read about cayin ha-1a. this is a very powerful amp although right now i only have a k601 and a dt990 pro. i know they need power but not like that. since i like the dt990 pro alot. i've been thinking my next upgrade probably be a 600ohm dt990. i also think hd650 may do me good too. if i can afford this 700 dollars amp, should i get this? or some other powerful amp? i don't know too much about powerful amp. doesn't really have to be a tube amp. any suggestion? the beyer one? or the ps audio one? or what else? or the dark voice it's good enough?

700.00 is a bit much for the Cayin.. Sell for 400.00 in China.. The BADA12 is overall better then the Cayin.. But the Cayin has a more tube sound.. I'd also check out the the new DOGE 6210 EL84. Cost 425.00 from http://www.pacificvalve.us/Headphones.html

Catty link sells them for 375.00.. & get better tubes to really make them sing..

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 7
cayin marks up too much in US. I'd avoid it unless I could get it in China,

Feb 19, 2007 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 7
IMO, Cayin HA-1A is best for either K1000 owners, or people who have a collection of headphones and efficient speakers. It's overkill if you have fewer than a handful of headphones.
redface.gif

I'd recommend going with an amp that's proven to work well with your headphones.

Feb 19, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 7
i think i have enough headphones already
eek.gif
tongue.gif

well, i do really. no more headphones. i think i like this hobby so i think i'm going to invest my money to amp and source(cd player) from now on.

i know this amp is a bit overprice but, it also seem to be the most versatile. very good headphone amp. a pre-amp and also can be a speaker amp. i know not very good as a speaker amp(i asked before).

by the way, if i were to get one in china, is it possible i can get one with a 110v one? i know in china(or most places in asia) they use 220v.

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 7
Bought one these for $345.00 on a trip to Hong Kong a month ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
by the way, if i were to get one in china, is it possible i can get one with a 110v one? i know in china(or most places in asia) they use 220v.

The dealer (and agent) I purchased from only sells the 220v version.

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 7
I had the Cayin on loan for a while and initially liked it but as time went on I realized there are a lot better out there. A couple of nights ago we tried to drive a pair of Sonist 95db speaker and didn't do a very good job. If I were you, at that price, I would consider one of the Singlepower offerings like the PPX3 Slam which are available used for around that price I believe, if a tube amp is what you want. Another choice maybe a Woo Audio amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back