Should I get the Audio Technica M50s?
Jan 26, 2012 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lugiasrddl1

New Head-Fier
As you can probably tell I am really, really new here. I have just started getting into headphones and I have recently bought beats solo from someone who didn't want them anymore. (They were being sold for $15 so I had to buy them) I have owned a couple of chep in-ear headphones, and I also own an over-ear Ur21v Koss headphones. When I first listened to the beats I thought "Wow. These are great."
At that time I was listening to music that sounds good with a powerful bass. (Daft Punk, Dubstep, and some other rap and tecno bands) Then I got to the rock, alternative rock and metal bands (Skillet, Linkin Park, DIsturbed, Dragonforce, Metallica, and Thousand Foot Krutch) The beats solo sounded terrible, distorted even. The $40 Koss headphones sounded good on everything, whereas the beats solo only sounded good on the music with lots of bass, but better in those areas than the Koss headphones. I then started to do some research and I am thinking about getting some Audio Technica M50s. I dont own a pair or know anyone that owns a pair so I wanted to know if the M50s sounded good with rock, alternative rock, metal, heavy metal, rap, techno, dubstep and classical. The beats only souned good with the rap, techno, and dubstep. Please can someone help me out? Thank you in advance!

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 9
What genre/bands would the M50s not  sound good with?

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 9
I can understand that, but if everything else sounds good then I think I will go with the m-50s unless you can think of something better that is in that price range.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 9
Considering the range of music you seem to listen to, i would go for something just a tad more neutral than the M50s. But, the M50s are a great headphone for casual listening. Sound good for most genres, and a huge, night and day difference between how they will sound and the beats sound.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 9
Hey, just a side note, if your going to use the M50's as outside portables for extended periods of time during the summer, your going to melt your ears off because after 2-3 hours, your ears start building up sweat, although I'm guessing that beats do the same thing to your ears.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to get the M50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back