Should I get the ASUS Xonar Essence STX ??
Jan 7, 2009 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

HeadLover

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi
I have the D2X
I wonder, how good is this one compare to it ?
Second, what do you think of it ? is it a good sound card? will using it for output for speakers will be good? (better than D2X or other sound cards)

And what do you think of it ?

Thank you!

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 22
the STX is better then the D2X

Its a great soundcard, especially for headphones. Its better for speakers too but it will only do stereo through the analog. If you go through optical then you can get 5.1 sound but then it depends on how good your DAC for the speakers is as far as sound quality.

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 22
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, how does the all amp of the headphones goes?
Can I plug both the speakers and the phones at the same time?
And can I change the volume for the phones on a different level than the one for the speakers ?
or what?

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 22
For analog surround sound the best Xonar is the HDAV 1.3. For stereo sound/Headphones the best Xonar card is the Essence STX.

To answer your question: With the Essence STX, you can plug in both speakers/headphones and switch then through the Xonar Audio control panel. When one is enabled the other is disabled. I don't think you can set different levels with the volume. The headphones amp allows you to set the amplifier Gain level for high imepedance headphones.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 22
I think the Asus soundcards ain't as good as the Creative X-Fi range of cards. I have the X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series and the sound is totally out of this world. I guess maybe you should try out the various sound cards first before making ur purchase decision. Good Luck!

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by salsala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Asus soundcards ain't as good as the Creative X-Fi range of cards. I have the X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series and the sound is totally out of this world. I guess maybe you should try out the various sound cards first before making ur purchase decision. Good Luck!

Have you actually tried the Asus soundcards before?

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Tread lightly.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 22
hi all, i've been reading this forum for some time but here comes my first post. i'm too deciding on whether to get Xonar Essence. i use both speakers and headphones (HD555) and i was wondering if i shouldn't get a stereo amplifier like HK 3490 instead. i could use an optical out from my motherboard to amp, that way i wouldn't need a pc sound card. i don't mind game effects (EAX or whatever it is). on the other hand i fear headphone output is nowhere near that of the Essence.

what do you guys think? sooner or later i'll have to get some stereo amplifier because my old one won't be sufficient for future speakers upgrade. so do you think $200 for Essence would be worth it in my case?

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #11 of 22
Hi, if you're really into music and want real good audio out from your HD555, just go get it. Chances are, you'll be in love with your headphone again.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

I used to have an x-fi fatal1ty before my Xonar D2X and it has to be one of my most boring sound experiences ever. To me it just sounds flat and boring.

I tried hard to like it for 2 years, but it just never happened...

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

i had the creative x-fi range of cards (2 of them) and they were both mediocre to just plain bad. the auzentech prelude was an improvement but still disappointing. the high end oxygen HD soundcards (X-meridian, claro plus+, xonar d2) were significantly better, and the Essence is even better than those.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Yes Kia also make better cars than Audi.

If you strictly play games then there's nothing wrong with Creative, but if you actually listen to music (which suprising enough is what most people do!)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back