Should I get something better?
Sep 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NMaldo94

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I currently own a pair of ATH-M50's, which I find a BIG STEP UP from my Studio Beats, but I was wondering if there was anything better? I know a lot of people say ATH-M50's are good but they also lack. I mainly listen to pop, hip hop, R&B, and a whole bunch of other genres. I would like something that is comfortable, that presents bass but nothing that sacrifices clarity and that can catch every instrument/detail in the song. I'm not too fluent on terms such as recessed mids, highs, or lows. Also I listen to music on an iPod Classic, should I consider other mp3's or should I just get a portable amp like the fiio e11? Thanks in advance.

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 9
  or should I get a DAC? like the Alpen-E17

Get x3 or e17

You can score the e17 for $90 new still.   Won't hurt to upgrade the DAC/Amp as you're going to need to if you wanted to step up in head phones.

x3 will be less bulky and supposedly superior performing.  e17 is going to be messier tied to your ipod, and charging two devices could be annoying. 

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 9
  Thanks, would a DAC make a big difference? I know Analog is supposed to be better than anything digital. Also i just saw this

http://www.head-fi.org/t/679788/cypher-labs-theorem-720-dac-a-new-portable-24-192-usb-idevice-android-dac-amp

would that be better than the Fiio's version of a DAC/AMP? 

Do you have any suggestions for headphones? Or am I fine with the Ath-M50's?

That unit is going to cost $900 haha.

What do you find wrong with the M50 when you're listening to them?  Is the bass not hard hitting enough?  Is there a lack of detail?  Are instruments or vocals hard to pick out?

You really will want a better source than your iPod alone if you are going to get a better pair of headphones imo.  You might as well get the E17/X3 and see what they will do for your M50.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 9
OH FORGET THAT THEN! I probably should have checked the price before I mentioned them lol. 

I don't find anything wrong with them, like I mentioned they were my upgrades from Beats by Dre, to me they're perfect. The Bass is present but isn't overpowering and I can hear a difference compared to apple headphones and the Beats but when I first asked people here which headphones I should get, none of them suggested the m50's, they said brands like Shure and Beyer DT770's and Brainwavz. I just asked because I'm not too sure what to look for in headphones, I know other people here are more experienced with a wide range of headphones and they're more technical so they know what should be heard from headphones. 

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 9
  OH FORGET THAT THEN! I probably should have checked the price before I mentioned them lol. 

I don't find anything wrong with them, like I mentioned they were my upgrades from Beats by Dre, to me they're perfect. The Bass is present but isn't overpowering and I can hear a difference compared to apple headphones and the Beats but when I first asked people here which headphones I should get, none of them suggested the m50's, they said brands like Shure and Beyer DT770's and Brainwavz. I just asked because I'm not too sure what to look for in headphones, I know other people here are more experienced with a wide range of headphones and they're more technical so they know what should be heard from headphones. 

Brainwavz HM5 sucks lol.

What kind of usage are you looking towards?  I like open headphones, though they aren't practical outdoors.
I think the DT770 Pro sounds better than the M50, but is not worth it for an upgrade since you own the M50.
Shure is known for poor comfort, and I think comfort is an important factor in headphones lol.

I think you should give the V-moda M100 a look if you want no compromises in the bass department.  Fidelio X1 is a great option if you don't need sound isolation.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 9
The M100 wouldn't really be an upgrade. Compared to the M50 I would say they are on a similar level. They are not very musical Though(M100)  but for a bass head phone they are quite good. A good upgrade to the M50 would be the sennheiser momentum!

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 9
  The M100 wouldn't really be an upgrade. Compared to the M50 I would say they are on a similar level. They are not very musical Though(M100)  but for a bass head phone they are quite good. A good upgrade to the M50 would be the sennheiser momentum!

Depends on what you define as musical.

FWIW the OP would probably like the M100 more for Pop/Hip-Hop/R&B/EDM/Etc.  Powerful bass but still is competent, great build quality, and comfortable.

Its a preference thing really, and luckily its possible to audition both headphones at a retailer!  My local Microcenter has the M100 and had the Momentum for audition, Best Buy has the Momentum, and if you're lucky, your Radioshack might have the M80/M100 on sale+clearance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back