Should I get him another ipod, or is something else better?
Jun 14, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudkip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go for a cowon d2, but honestly sq shouldn't be a huge object here since he is using poorly encoded songs from p2p networks.

You can get decent encodes illegally if you shop around...

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by heliuscc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get decent encodes illegally if you shop around...

yeah but what the op said is that he is using music from p2p networks.

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #19 of 30
Maybe go cd shopping as well...
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #20 of 30
I would vote a Zune. I bought my Zune 30GB back when Woot had it on sale for $80. Since then it has fallen off my desk and out of my hands many times. It's built pretty well. Also on another note, Microsoft provides firmware updates for all the older models whenever a new firmware releases for the latest version.

Most people who see my Zune don't even know what it is or think its a really really old iPod. So the chances of them wanting to steal it are low. But in reality its built pretty well to withstand drops, has smooth software, good sound quality, and a good user interface.

I like the Zune software. It runs really smooth. You can manage your music with ratings of a Heart (like) and X'd Heart (don't like). Pretty simple, its either you like it or you don't. No hassle of dealing with 5 stars. You can set the Zune to keep the X'd Hearts and don't sync them to your Zune. Also if you X'd Heart songs while on the PC or the Zune it will auto sync and remove them from your Zune for you.

I've never bought anything on the Zune Marketplace, but I do use it to get podcasts. You can download them in the Zune resolution or in a large WMV file for PC watching. Either way the Zune Software will encode them to fit the Zune if its a larger resolution.

If he likes hi-tech stuff, maybe an iPod Touch, but I'm afraid if someone stole his iPod. They would go at all lengths to steal a brand new iPod Touch. Just have him carry w/e new device you plan to buy him on Person at all times. Also have him use the Screen Lock Password option.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #21 of 30
I think it's great that you're researching this for your son, before your purchase. But, as much as I love my own Zune and Cowon D2, I don't know if I would recommend it, in this case.

First, he has music from iTunes - that means it's either DRM'd AAC or non-DRM'd AAC - either way, the D2 will not play them. And if it's DRM'd AAC (which is likely for anything prior to April 2009), then you can only play them on another iPod.

Second, he's probably using iTunes as his main music player, right now. If you buy him anything other than another iPod, he'll need to change the software player he uses, and he may not be to thrilled about that.

Third is the whole status thing about having an iPod. I only bring it up because he is (almost) 15, which is that age where fitting in can be very important (depending on the person, of course).

My two cents - he already had an iPod, so you might want to consider a Touch. And keep in mind that there are new iPod's coming out in the fall, so you might want to wait to see what Apple is cooking up. As for the first getting stolen, hopefully that was only a one-off event!

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #22 of 30
If he's used to using iTunes and has downloaded songs from them, then the choice should be clear. The new nanos are very nice - I'd pick the 16 GB. The sound may not be the ultimate, but it's very good. They are light, small, reliable, and easy to use.

Mooch

Jun 16, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #23 of 30
I guess he needs more memory since he loads and listens to alot of music.
Why not the iPod Classic? It's pretty decent and atleast he stays in the iPod line .

But if he wants fun then maybe like what the others said,get him a iTouch.

Jun 16, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #24 of 30
Although the iPod touch is not great in terms of sound quality (IMHO), it will probably be far more appealing to a 15 year old. The applications are very handy, and the entire thing is sturdily built and aesthetically pleasing.

A Cowon D2+ is definitely better for listening to music, but its interface takes a little getting used to, and if your son listens to mp3's I doubt he'll really care about the difference.

For his purposes, I'd go with the iPod touch. Hope that helps.

Jun 16, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #26 of 30
Ask him, is he an audiophile?

If yes, listen to all the other posters.

If no (and I'm guessing he isn't), just get him whatever. He'd probably detest anything that doesn't have an apple logo on it, and the same would go for most other students (seeing as it got stolen and all).

Which leads me to think that its just going to get stolen again (iPods have more "value" in high school). A player that isn't an iPod has a much lower chance of being stolen and if you can convince him of the benefits of GOOD players that have been recommended its probably for the best; the players cost less and perform better than iPods.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #27 of 30
I asked him, he is ok with whatever....he just wants something because he misses his music
I may just go with a refurb ipod since he is familiar with them and I can get the 8gb nano for $99. But I'll keep looking at the other brands as well before I purchase

thanks!

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #28 of 30
Then find him a cowon D2 (or D2+) he will have a lot to play with. And excellent SQ plus expandable memory with use of SDHC slot till 32 Gb

You can get them for a bit more of $100, 16Gb cards are pretty cheap nowadays

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #29 of 30
I think a refurbished iPod may be the way to go. A lot of people find the Cowon interface to be quite annoying. I doubt your son will consider that a good trade for the increase in sound quality. If he listens to mp3's then it's pretty straightforward. Good luck!

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #30 of 30
^^ thanks. He did love the big screen on the Cowon, but if I only spend $99 on the refurb ipod, that gives me some extra money to buy him more gifts lol. I think the ipod might just be the easiest way to go and if he wants to try something else later, then we can look into the other options

Users who are viewing this thread

Back