Should I get ER6 or ER6i?
Sep 16, 2004 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I've done enough recent reading on the ER6i, and some say that the bass is really improved, others say its a subtle difference.

I can get the regular ER6 for around $97 shipped now, and the ER6i for about $124 shipped (cheapest I could currently find it for).

Is the 6i worth the extra $30? I'll be using them with a D-NE300, which has a nice, albeit simple, parametric eq that I can use to bump up the low-bass or mid-bass. Once that's factored in, would there really be a reason to go for the 6i over the regular ER6? I really don't like the looks of the white cables, either, although I do like the triple flange tips (but I also don't like the idea of the barrel being plastic as opposed to metal like on the regular ER6).

And if I'm reading this right, the ER6i's cables can be detached from the earbuds themselves?

Sep 16, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 24
The wires are not detachable as far as I can tell. I only have the 6i's so I can't fully asnwer your question, but I quite like them when paired with the foam tips. Search for my full review if it would be useful.

Sep 16, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 24
so you bought the dne300. how is the headphone out compared to your ipod, and how does it sound overall?

never had the er6 either, but its probably a good idea to get the er6i. one because it it isolates more. i have used the er4 foamies, maybe same material as the er6 foamies, but the er6i foamies are different and very soft. the white dosent really bother me anymore.

as for the bass, it has awesome bass for a canalphone. the impact have good body and is deep. you wont need to bump up the bass, it'll be more than enough. with an amp the bass becomes tighter and more accurate. didnt hear too much improvement on the other areas. its a neutral sounding phones. not as fun sounding as my fc7, but isolates insanely.

i had trouble keeping the earsleeves stay in the beginning, but somehow i dont have the problem anymore. i dont see any durability problem with the plastic tubing. just do not exposed them to too extreme heat like 50*C, they will melt or deform slowly (probably the entire headphone itself).

Sep 17, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 24
Yep, got the NE300. Headphone out is very comparable to the iPod, but with more flexibility. I wanted to start getting back to listening to whole albums by artists instead of cherry-picking (like I was doing when I had a DAP), with no annoying little gaps. True, I'll never be able to take anywhere near as much music with me at one time (unless I use mp3 cd's, which I may on occasion, but not too often), but I get more enjoyment out of listening to an entire album, from a certain time period in my life (like an old Iron Maiden album), or immersing myself in a whole new musical experience (like Bjork's "Medulla"). And no more gaps between songs, particularly on tracks that fade into each other.

Plus, I got the NE300 for $60, sold the iPod for $260, and paid half my green leather wingback chair off.

I don't know if I can deal with that white color though... I've had the ER6 before and it isolates plenty, and I can get it for about $30 cheaper than the 6i. Another gripe is that it doesn't have the right angled plug, which I really prefer on portable devices.

I'll have to read some more reviews on the 6i. There have been too many reviews that aren't in-depth, and don't go into too much detail about the bass texture improvements on the 6i. I keep waiting for that one review that will push me to say "ugly white color be damned! i'm buyin' 'em anyway!" But as it stands, I may end up with the regular ER6...

Sep 17, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 24
The er6i supposedly has an 8 db boost in the bass. I just received the er6i and think that the bass is just about right (maybe even a bit on the weak side) and so I can't imagine liking the sound if there was an 8 db decrease. As for the color, that was one of the MAJOR reasons I was hesitant to purchase the er6i, but it's really not as bad as I thought it would be. Etymotic must boost the whiteness of the er6i in its advertisements because it really isn't as bright and obnoxious when you see it in person.

Sep 17, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
The er6i supposedly has an 8 db boost in the bass. I just received the er6i and think that the bass is just about right (maybe even a bit on the weak side) and so I can't imagine liking the sound if there was an 8 db decrease. As for the color, that was one of the MAJOR reasons I was hesitant to purchase the er6i, but it's really not as bad as I thought it would be. Etymotic must boost the whiteness of the er6i in its advertisements because it really isn't as bright and obnoxious when you see it in person.

Does it help at all to eq it?

Have you tried?

Sep 17, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Yep, got the NE300. Headphone out is very comparable to the iPod, but with more flexibility. I wanted to start getting back to listening to whole albums by artists instead of cherry-picking (like I was doing when I had a DAP), with no annoying little gaps. True, I'll never be able to take anywhere near as much music with me at one time (unless I use mp3 cd's, which I may on occasion, but not too often), but I get more enjoyment out of listening to an entire album, from a certain time period in my life (like an old Iron Maiden album), or immersing myself in a whole new musical experience (like Bjork's "Medulla"). And no more gaps between songs, particularly on tracks that fade into each other.

Plus, I got the NE300 for $60, sold the iPod for $260, and paid half my green leather wingback chair off.

I don't know if I can deal with that white color though... I've had the ER6 before and it isolates plenty, and I can get it for about $30 cheaper than the 6i. Another gripe is that it doesn't have the right angled plug, which I really prefer on portable devices.

I'll have to read some more reviews on the 6i. There have been too many reviews that aren't in-depth, and don't go into too much detail about the bass texture improvements on the 6i. I keep waiting for that one review that will push me to say "ugly white color be damned! i'm buyin' 'em anyway!" But as it stands, I may end up with the regular ER6...

I will have my ER6 vs ER6i comparison done by Monday. Sneak preview: I think I will end up selling the ER6. Your durability point is interesting, but as Terrymx points out canal phones will not be suffering too much abuse in the normal scope of affairs.

I wish I could share the enthusiasm of some users as to the bass on the ER6i. Mid range (like on many drums) to me sounds much better, and you can hear some of the low frequencies. To compare though, Grado SR60s still give much better extension, and the V6 is like an earthquake in comparison, at least to my ears and also w/o an amp. Stick an amp in, and boom, the ER6is are at least as good as the Grados, maybe even better.

If you won't use an amp, really like bass, and don't mind loss of detail and clarity, the Sony EX71s (or allegedly the Shure E2cs) are better choices. The Er6i has a nice balanced sound, has less issues with annoying treble than the ER6, and is easy to use with portables. I think the sole appeal of the ER6 will be in terms of lower price point and for those who like thinner bass sounds...

des

Sep 17, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 24
Well, I've owned the ER6 before, and it wasn't bad... it was almost like the thinner bass was what allowed me to hear all the little details. And I can bump up mid-bass or low-bass with the NE300's EQ.

I don't really need IEM's, I'm actually happy with my HD25-1's with the NE300, but I have some extra money, and thought I could grab the ER6's for cheap now that the 6i is out. Is this a bad idea to still consider the ER6 over the 6i?

Will there be much of a market for the ER6 now that the 6i is out? Is Etymotic going to phase out the ER6?

Also, is the white on the ER6i more of a "putty" white, and not a gleaming white? It's hard to tell from the various ads & pics for them...

Sep 17, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 24
I think the main reason for the ER6i is to tap into the Ipod market. Also, the Shure E2cs at their $90 or less price are probably putting some pressure on Etys. The inexpensive redesign of the Er6 into the i model lets them drop the ER6 down to compete with the entry level Shures and also keep the ER6i at the same price point of the E3s to compete at the mid-range price point, while the ER4s can duke it out with the E5s.

In other words, we are seeing a vertical product line expansion induced by market competition. Yay capitalism!
icon10.gif

As to color, the first set of 1,500 ER6is are actually off white, maybe more like an alabaster. Per Ety, this will be "corrected" on future runs to a bright pearly white, more of a match to the plastic fantastic look of the Ipod.

des

Sep 17, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 24
That's a shame about the color-- completely understandable, though, as they're trying to tap into the iPod user's market.

I think I may still end up with the ER6's and see how that works... Headroom has a 30 day return policy anyway, so I may as well check 'em out...

Sep 17, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #13 of 24
Good luck. The ER6 is a great earphone, and for most of us, it's getting the best value for the money that guides headphone purchases, and the new cheaper ER6 is certainly a good buy.

des

Sep 17, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 24
about the bass, i find the extension of the ER6i's to be very good. for instance, the album L'incroyable Vérité by Sébastien Tellier has a lot of VERY low bass. the ER6i, unamped, is able to accurately, if somewhat quietly, play these tones. my Grado SR-60's just kind of fart around with the same notes, as do my Boston Acoustics speakers. i have verified what the songs sound like with a friends MartinLogan electrostat speakers, so i know what it is actually supposed to sound like
smily_headphones1.gif
. maybe i'm not understanding what is meant by bass extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back