Should I get av710 now or emu 0404 later
Aug 1, 2007 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

no1likesme

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok I am building a new linux rig and I am planning on using it for music frequently. As of now my budget only allows for the av710, will this be good enough or should I wait (maybe a few months) for the 0404? I will be using this with optical out to a sony receiver and then to my grado sr80 (will probably upgrade these to rs2 in a few months)

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 10
What Sony receiver? The DAC in the 0404 may sound better, in which case you could go analog out to it.

Wait, why were you planning on spending $200 just get a digital signal to your receiver? The Chaintech will do that fine.

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What Sony receiver? The DAC in the 0404 may sound better, in which case you could go analog out to it.

Wait, why were you planning on spending $200 just get a digital signal to your receiver? The Chaintech will do that fine.

x2. The AV-710 will be a fine optical output solution, especially if you update the firmware with Prodigy drivers. There's no point buying an expensive sound card if its only use is as a digital transport.

Aug 4, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 10
i actually use the av710 > emu 0404 usb !!!

and i would agree with previous posters, why use the 0404 usb as a pre-amp kinda thing? i actually use my 0404 usb's output to a receiver to power bookshelf speakers, but not the optical out.

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 10
I like the AV710, my buddy had a 0404 and hated it, drivers crapping out randomly. No way to hook up a normal pair of speakers...etc...

The AV710 is a bargain, I run it to my reciever and have headphones plugged in to the Wolfson DAC for at night. I recommend it.

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the AV710, my buddy had a 0404 and hated it, drivers crapping out randomly. No way to hook up a normal pair of speakers...etc...

The AV710 is a bargain, I run it to my reciever and have headphones plugged in to the Wolfson DAC for at night. I recommend it.

The AV-710's drivers aren't exactly great either.
biggrin.gif

No way to hook up a normal pair of speakers? If you mean computer speakers, all that's required is a two 1/4" TS to 1/8" mini stereo Y-cable.

415832.jpg

You can even run a pair of balanced studio monitors from the E-MU cards, which is the main reason that the 1/4" jacks are used. Converting to unbalanced is just a matter of using some inexpensive adapters.

Aug 4, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 10
There is also the 1/8" mini jack line out right beside that. Most regular desktop speakers use this.

And as for the drivers, they're fine for me. Perhaps it was an older driver or simply human error.

Figuring out ASIO (it sometimes cuts out) flashing sync lights and switching between S/PDIF in and my various computer sources was a bit tricky at first but once you get it down it works flawlessly.

Edit: My bad, reading a few threads at a time confused me
wink.gif
But yeah, seems like a poor choice for hooking up speakers.

Aug 5, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AV-710's drivers aren't exactly great either.
biggrin.gif

No way to hook up a normal pair of speakers? If you mean computer speakers, all that's required is a two 1/4" TS to 1/8" mini stereo Y-cable.

415832.jpg

You can even run a pair of balanced studio monitors from the E-MU cards, which is the main reason that the 1/4" jacks are used. Converting to unbalanced is just a matter of using some inexpensive adapters.

I've had no issues with AudioDeck. Unlike my creative past.

Also...I do the lan party seen a bit... A regular hookup I just find useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back