Should I get Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Philips Citiscape Uptown
May 12, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #18 of 21
Well, I ended up buying the ATH-M50 for $125 and i've had them for about a week know. To be absolutely honest, i find myself really disappointed and underwhelmed by them, especially considering all the hype that surrounded them. The fact that these are the first full sized headphones i've bought, i expected a substantial sound quality difference from the cheap in ear buds i usually use (sennheiser cx300) but i've found that, even after around 50 hours of burn in, they dont sound amazingly better than the cx300s. In fact, i can really only notice a slight difference is sound quality.
Just some background, i bought them from an well known authorized dealer and im pretty sure their legit. Also im listening to the headphones from my PC through a Fiio e10 amplifier and with FLAC quality music files.
The bass, while prominent, just isnt punchy enough and the vocals are just too recessed for me.
In all, i dont feel like the extra 95 dollars i paid for the M50s (i bought the cx300 for $30) has really translated into much of a better listening experience.
The comfort is also a bit of an issue, with the top of the headband really causing a bit of discomfort.
These factors have even lead to me back to using my in ears more often than not.
But ye, right now im really bummed i didnt w8, to see what people said about the citiscape uptowns and maybe went with that option.
This has been my experience so far and if anything changes, ill keep you guys posted.

EDIT: okay, after a few more weeks of listening, im starting to get used to the sound and its definitely getting better.

EDIT 2: Lol so after 2months of having these headphones, i pretty much take back what i initially stated in this post. The SQ and clarity is really great after they've been completely burned in and are overall excellent.

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #19 of 21
Lol you literally just typed what I thought about the M50s for the first few months. I remember opening them in my bedroom and sitting down on my bed. I picked a song and when it was over I was pissed off, but as time went on I started to get used to the sound signature. (Which is what I think burn-in is)  Then this morning I listened to them for 3 hours and had a great time. Definitely a great buy. (Btw I've had them for 7 months)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back