Should I get another Grado or something else?
Apr 1, 2010 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

otprof

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, Head-fi!

I need a pair of full size and comfortable phones for my office. Open/closed makes no difference, and price is flexible.

They will be run through an Apogee Duet hooked to my iMac. I am open to a headphone/amp combo if you know of something good with the Duet. Otherwise, something in the lower impedance range would be good.

I have owned the Grado SR-60s, the 225s (twice) and RS2. I have also owned K701s and liked them, so I'm not beholden to a particular sound, and I think I prefer good detail, neutrality, and separation. I liked the RS2s a lot, and the SR-60s not so much. I currently have Ety ER4S, which I love.

My favorite music includes Alt-Rock (Drive-By Truckers, The Hold Steady), Roots (Blind Pilot, Bon Iver, Andrew Bird, Avett Brothers, Fleet Foxes), Classic Rock (Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Zeppelin) and some Hip Hop (Aesop Rock, Mos Def).

So, I need something with a bit of thump but sensitive enough for acoustic instruments and vocals. [I probably need two different cans, but let's start with one.]

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 3
I was looking at your past stuff and it looks like you had a pretty nice setup with the RS2 and 701 headphones and the Headroom Micro Stack. I found the Micro Amp had pretty nice bass slam with the crossfeed on. What are you looking for that's different than what you've had?

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by otprof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need something with a bit of thump but sensitive enough for acoustic instruments and vocals.

You have enough experience with some good headphones/earphones. I think its time for the pinnacle of headphones/earphones, Jerry Harvey's JH13 is one.

Welcome to the stratospheric sound level of headphones/earphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back