should I get an XBox?
Oct 17, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

and backup a copy of your xbox game in your harddrive

$5 at blockbuster to rent a game for a week
~$80 for HD for xbox

Quote:

And if you're low on cash, rent games. Much much much much much cheaper.

wink.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #18 of 23
Xbox 360 is coming out on November 22nd so i dont think there is a reason to get old xbox right now.

Oct 17, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
Xbox 360 is coming out on November 22nd so i dont think there is a reason to get old xbox right now.

There is for the casual gamer who wants something to play for cheap. I've been pondering an xbox purchase (got a ps2 and gc, both borrowed from family) for awhile now. I'd like to try out DOA, halo, ninja gaiden, etc. And since I rent online anyways (2 games out for $20 a month), I'd really only be eating the cost of the system.

I do want a ps3 though, but there's no way I can justify the price. I can't really rent titles either even if/when the online places have it, things'll be backed up and I'd end up waiting forever for a game.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
$5 at blockbuster to rent a game for a week
~$80 for HD for xbox

wink.gif

Or $21.95/month, 2-out from Gamefly. With shipping being as it is (they're in LA, I'm on the East Coast), I can manage about 10 games a month. I, uh, play really fast. And hate most of them.

There are many, many things to be done with a modded Xbox that aren't of dubious legality, though. Media Center is one biggie. I use mine for watching Xvid rips of movies all the time, and other things my DVD player chokes on. Hook it up to a network and you can stream 'em from another computer, fileserver, or what have you.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #21 of 23
it should also make a prety decent transport if you use an external DAC... has an optical out and uses a PC DVD-Rom drive so kinda worth it right there

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #23 of 23
Of course there is reason enough to buy an Xbox now--every system that has been around for a few years has it's collection of great games. It will be a while until the XBox 360 has a similar lineup of quality titles. This is why I always advise people to wait until a system has been out for at least a year before buying one--otherwise you'll probably be stuck with a system you paid a premium price for with nothing new you want to play on it for long stretches of time. It's just common sense really...and besides the quality 360 launch titles look a little dubious. Hopefully Microsoft made a good investment when they aquired Rare (from Nintendo) and their 360 launch titles (er, round-about-launch) titles Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo will rock. They are the 360's best hope during the first few months after launch. Maybe that and what, Call of Duty 2? Gotham Racing 3? (if they pan out) Seriously just buy a regular XBox now and have fun. Perhaps think of buying used--I got mine for $100 at a pawn shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back