should i get an ipod mini?
Feb 16, 2005 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

renesis_au

100+ Head-Fier
well the title might have shocked some of u's, but over in australia there is not much choice. the ipod mini is roughly US$250. at this time the best choice would be the zen micro in my opinion but it is seriously overpriced here at US$383 and for that price i might as well get a ipod 4g. but in the end all i want is a mp3 player but the rio carbon isnt available here too. so i just would like some advice, cuz i'm not willing to get an import incase anything bad happens. thanks.

Feb 16, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 16
The iPod Mini isn't all bad. I'm not a dumb uninformed member of the foul-smelling masses, yet I bought one and I live in the US where there's plenty of other microdrive DAPs cheaper.

When it comes down to it, think about usage and about features. What features do you want in a DAP, and does the iPod Mini fulfull most of them?

Feb 16, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 16
i'll be mainly using the ipod for commuting during the day, and in that regard will suit my purposes. i was just worried about the claimed 8hr batter life, and if ever i decided to be away from a powerpoint for an extended time there might be trouble if i dont get my daily dose of music
600smile.gif
. i could get eh muvo2 for slighlt cheaper but i'm worried about battery life, build quality, etc. another question is it worth it to get the extended warranty on the ipod?

Feb 16, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by renesis_au
is it worth it to get the extended warranty on the ipod?

Yes. I had to replace my Ipod after six months of heavy usage when the scroll wheel stopped working. I bought the extended warranty afterwards in case it goes out between years one and two.

Although the battery might go out between years one and two, and that isn't covered by warranty (and costs $100 to have Apple do).

Feb 16, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

i'll be mainly using the ipod for commuting during the day, and in that regard will suit my purposes. i was just worried about the claimed 8hr batter life, and if ever i decided to be away from a powerpoint for an extended time there might be trouble if i dont get my daily dose of music
600smile.gif
. i could get eh muvo2 for slighlt cheaper but i'm worried about battery life, build quality, etc. another question is it worth it to get the extended warranty on the ipod?

the muvo2 fm? in any case, the muvo2 is well-built in a sloid plastic case. battery life is good to at around 10-12 hours.

Feb 16, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 16
both the muvo2 fm and the ipod mini are ageing models, but in the end is it worth forking a bit more money out for the ipod with its tougher contsruction? from wat i've read the creative may sound better, but there is a longer term goal for me that when the next ipod mini comes out (whenever that is) i could sell either the ipod mini of muvo2 and get the new ipod mini (or whichever mp3 player in the future takes my fancy). does resale differ much between the two, or because of the apple brand the mini would have better resale? sorry for the confused chain of thought, lol.

Feb 16, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 16
muvo2? check out the micro, if your looking to compare a few other DAP's against the Ipod mini i suggest the Rio Carbon, Zen Micro, and IRiver H10. All of those are better than the mini IMO, they have way more features, capacity, and all of them have better battery life and soundquality. 2 of them (micro and H10) have removable batteries, radio and voice record. Make a few searches in this forum (using the actual search feature) of the micro H10 and Carbon and Mini and find out which one is for you.

and for anyone thats going to be over-defensive....im not bashing ipods.
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
muvo2? check out the micro, if your looking to compare a few other DAP's against the Ipod mini i suggest the Rio Carbon, Zen Micro, and IRiver H10. All of those are better than the mini IMO, they have way more features, capacity, and all of them have better battery life and soundquality. 2 of them (micro and H10) have removable batteries, radio and voice record. Make a few searches in this forum (using the actual search feature) of the micro H10 and Carbon and Mini and find out which one is for you.

yes those are good, but the OP said
Quote:

over in australia there is not much choice. the ipod mini is roughly US$250. at this time the best choice would be the zen micro in my opinion but it is seriously overpriced here at US$383 and for that price i might as well get a ipod 4g.

Feb 16, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 16
Cyclone said:
muvo2? check out the micro, if your looking to compare a few other DAP's against the Ipod mini i suggest the Rio Carbon, Zen Micro, and IRiver H10.

thanks for ur suggestions, but as i said before many of these daps r way overpriced in australia and in most cases end up being more expensive than an ipod 4g (for comparison in price only). besides to get these models at competitive prices i'm not willing to import, cuz i dont want to deal with the hassles of warranty claims. unless someone from australia can suggest a good and reliable place the import or buy domestically these daps?

Feb 16, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

thanks for ur suggestions, but as i said before many of these daps r way overpriced in australia and in most cases end up being more expensive than an ipod 4g (for comparison in price only). besides to get these models at competitive prices i'm not willing to import, cuz i dont want to deal with the hassles of warranty claims. unless someone from australia can suggest a good and reliable place the import or buy domestically these daps?

rolleyes.gif
oops i went into auto pilot and didnt read all the way through. there have been people before you that are from austrailia and have had this same exact dilema. as a recall he really had the hots for the micro but he didnt want to spend the extra 150 (neither would I!) so i think he ended up with the mini. i know that the carbons arnt even over in AU so that one is out of the picture, and the H10's are hard enough to find in the US right now as it is. So it comes down to the other guys same problem. do you want to pay through the nose (and through several other orafaces) to get the micro?

Feb 16, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 16
thanks for the advice ppl. no i dont think i want to pay such a premium to get the micro, but it has just been released locally so maybe they're (the distributors or otherwise) are trying to make ppl pay extra thats different to an ipod, just a thought, which i think is counter productive. maybe australia is such a small market that it doesnt really matter, i dont know.

as i said before my md is dying, but it is dying at a slow pace, so now my question is if i put of buying a dap now, will prices in the future hopefully go down or some really fancy dap will be released?

Feb 16, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #12 of 16
Something more fancy will always come out, that's the way of the electronics industry.

The mini is an alright player, I just reckon there are better players out there. If the price difference is so big though, go ahead and get the mini. Make sure you can't get any of the other mini HDD DAP's at the same price though (like rio carbon, zen micro, iriver h10, even dell pocket dj or gateways player).

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #14 of 16
I'm just not a fan of the mini. Don't like it's look and for around $25 more, you can get a 20GB 4G iPod...or at least here you can. For that trade, the size issue becomes even less of a factor. Get the 20GB.

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 16
My personal opinion - I don't like iPods. I don't like the iTunes interface, I don't find them to be greatly constructed, and I like the sound of the Zen Micro better {I have a Zen, my son has the 20GB iPod}.

It's all about opinion and budget.

Also, I am a fan of the removable/replacable battery in the Zen Micro, regardless of Apples "battery replacement" program for the iPods. To me, iPod = great marketing, and that's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back