Should I get an ART DIO?
Oct 24, 2002 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

teknophyl

Head-Fier
I was browsing through the forums looking for whatever tweaks/components I could afford for my system and I came across a post saying that for computer listening (mainly what I do) it would be best to get the ART DIO digital to analog converter because most soundcards have crappy DACs. I have a Terratec EWX 24/96 connected to my Little with Outlaw PCA's. What kind of difference can I expect with the DIO? Does it need special inputs that my soundcard doesn't have? Also, I'm looking into getting a turntable in the future, so I will most likely record my songs from the turntable, to my computer and onto a CD for when I'm on the go. The DIO can also convert the analog signal from the turntable to a digital signal, right? Turntable->phono preamp-> soundcard->headphone amp->headphones. Is this order right? Thanks.

Oct 24, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 5
The Art DI/O would make a considerable difference and is a well worth upgrade. If I were in your place, that would be the next component that I would add.

If you also want to record from a turntable digitally, then a DI/O is an even better choice. It can convert in both directions (A->D and D->A). The analog to digital stage also has a tube to process the sound, and can be adjusted for how warm this sound sounds.

Oct 24, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Terratec EWX 24/96 only has optical digital output while DI/O wants coax. Stock DI/O uses 1/4" phone jacks for analog i/o, so you'd need to get some 1/4"->RCA adaptors to use it. In my setup I found DI/O to be somewhat edgy from the upper-midrange and up compared to Arcam. This may be alleviated by using some replacement power supply, modding it, or throwing more money at it in some other way, but I haven't tried that route yet and not planning to in the nearest future.

Oct 25, 2002 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 5
I'm about to receive $200 bucks from some stuff I sold on ebay and was wondering what upgrade would be better: getting the ART DI/O, or upgrading my Little to a Little More Power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back