Should I get an amp?
Feb 11, 2017 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Niirai

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

So I just got my first proper over ear headphones (HD 558's) and honestly they sound great. Even though I'm currently using a 70 cents audio adapter I got from alieexpress to drive them. All the audio ports on my pc are busted. Not that I think it would matter too much because of how old my pc is. So hence my question. I don't mind investing some money(<50) in an amp because I like the versatility and it will stay useful forever. But mostly I'm wondering if I would notice the difference between a low budget amp and this thing I'm using right now. My ears are relatively untrained but the jump from my AKG k541's to my 558's was considerable.

Thanks in advance, Niirai

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 11
Hello Head-Fi!

So I just got my first proper over ear headphones (HD 558's) and honestly they sound great. Even though I'm currently using a 70 cents audio adapter I got from alieexpress to drive them. All the audio ports on my pc are busted. Not that I think it would matter too much because of how old my pc is. So hence my question. I don't mind investing some money(<50) in an amp because I like the versatility and it will stay useful forever. But mostly I'm wondering if I would notice the difference between a low budget amp and this thing I'm using right now. My ears are relatively untrained but the jump from my AKG k541's to my 558's was considerable.

Thanks in advance, Niirai

Headphones like the 558's generally don't need an amp. A DAC would be more suitable if you want to upgrade your listening experience.

The 558's don't require much power so an amp isn't needed.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 11
1st post so take that into consideration.  I think all headphones could benefit from an amp, definitely a DAC if you're running off your PC.  Start with a good but not so pricey one.  I'd recommend the Shiit Fulla 2 ($100) or a Fiio E10K ($75) for a desktop.  You don't need a lot of power for the 558 but would get a fuller sound with a DAC/AMP combo in comparison to any PC soundcard. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the replies!

I thought an USB amp was also a DAC but I guess I was asking for an AMP/DAC combo then. However I won't go over 50 euros and the E10K is 90 here in the Netherlands. Which brings me to my earlier question would it actually matter to get a cheap DAC/AMP combo to my untrained ears?

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 11
What about the little Fiio Q1? its portable, and has good reviews. I havent heard it myself, but from the E11k, which is a benefit  to all of my phones, it might be worth checking out.

For the record I have never heard the Senn 558, but from all of the phones that I have owned (Beyer Dt235, Sony MDR1R, 7520, Oppo PM3, Audioquest Nighthawk, AKG K81dj), they all benefitted from an amp. So I would never hesitate to recommend a good quality amp to anyone, and it doesnt mean expensive. the PA2v2, the Fiio E11k as just examples.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 11
I can find the Fiio A1 for 35 and K1 for 50 but I'm not sure if they will do much. It just seems silly to me to spend more money on a DAC/AMP than I did on my headphones. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 11
It is not uncommon to pay more for your DAC/AMP than for your headphones. A course analogy could be to think about it like a computer. You might only experience what the monitor shows you, but it is still very much depending on the pc behind it.

That being said you might be able to find something within your budget used?

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #9 of 11
Your best bet would probably be the fiio A1, K1 or Q1. You should try it off amazon and return if you dont like 1 of them. At this price point those amp/dacs are only going to be marginally better than an adapter or a pcs audio port. The main improvement would probably be louder sound output, so if you don't think you need to go louder then just stick with what you have.

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 11
So I've found a place where I can buy for more reasonable prices. I'm trying to narrow down my options and I've gotten confused about something. What exactly makes a DAC/AMP portable? I've been trying to compare the Q1 and E10K. And this site lists the E10K under portable AMP's (even though it's a DAC too?????) while a user on LinusTT said you should only use if for desktop.

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 11
Small units, with similar purposes 
The Q1 as a rechargeable battery onboard. Is something that you would "attach" to your phone and carry it around. In fact, that's it's intended purpose.
On the other hand, the E10K needs USB power (Either your desktop, or laptop for OTG) to work. Even though it might work sucking juice from a powerbank, that would be a big brick to carry, wouldn't it?

Please beware of where you buy the products from

Users who are viewing this thread

Back