Should I get an amp or Sony D-25S?
Jan 9, 2002 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

johnmark

New Head-Fier
I just recently purchased the Sennheiser HD495s and after a couple listening sessions decided I really need an amp not only for portable use, but also for listening around the house.

While perusing this site and some others I discovered a plethora of options for amps, and then I came across the threads that praised the Sony D-25S. This was attractive at once upon seeing how cheap it was, and how most amps I saw cost more than $100.

I already have a pcdp so I was wondering if would be more cost effective to just get the D-25S and a power supply, rather than pay more for a dedicated amp. OR, if there are any cheap amps that are worth getting.

Jan 9, 2002 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 13
Tough call, I'd say it depends a lot on your budget and your intended uses for a portable system. If you can't spend over $100, the only portable amp worth getting is probably one of JMT's amps (don't know exactly how much he charges though), the Total Airhead and Porta Corda are both well over $100.

If you don't need to use the PCDP while in motion, the Sony D-25S really fits the bill. It is great for stationary use and is easily moveable, but skips very easily while in motion. If you are going to be using your portable system while in motion (vehicle, etc) and battery life is important, and you currently have a decent PCDP, I would suggest getting a portable amp.

-Keith

Jan 9, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 13
I'm with Audio&Me - as good as the D25S may be, I'd think that a separate portable amp (JMT!) would be more convenient on the go......plus, with a Penguin amp, or Altoids amp, for that matter, one can find a constant source of amusement by holding the mint tin inconspicuously enough, concealing the volume control and the like, and, upon a request for a mint from a friend, you can open the can, holding the amp's circuit, and say, "Take your pick..."

ramblings deserve applause, btw.

Jan 9, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 13
I'll have to look into the details on JMT's amps. Having good amplification free from a cd player really is a no brainer. Although I'm unable/unwilling to spend too much more on headphone related items. I just wanted a decent set of cans, which I've found, and now I'm having to spend more to make them sound decent.
frown.gif

Actually, I'm afraid of straying from the innocent pleasure I have of headphones and falling into an uncontrollable obsession that will last the rest of my life. I'm sure none of you can relate
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 13
My desk at work holds a D-25S and a pair of HD495s. I think they sound great.

At home I have a JMT-built CHA 47 in an Altoids tin. I use it to drive the HD580s, which are harder to drive than the HD495s. I do occasionally still listen to the HD580s directly out of the D-25S headphone jack, and they sound remarkably good like that. But I gather from comments here that I tend to listen to music at lower volumes than most people.

What CDP do you have right now? If it has a line out, I'd suggest a portable amp. The HD495s do sound wonderful from a D-25S, but the amp gives you more flexibility.

Jan 10, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by johnmark

Actually, I'm afraid of straying from the innocent pleasure I have of headphones and falling into an uncontrollable obsession that will last the rest of my life. I'm sure none of you can relate
wink.gif

We have no idea what you are talking about.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 13
I have a sony D-FJ61, pretty bottom dollar deal. It does have a line out though. I contacted JMT, regarding his amps. Maybe I'll pick up a D-25S for my room or something later when I have extra cash laying around.

Jan 10, 2002 at 9:09 AM Post #9 of 13
I am a senn headphone user in China P.R. and I have a secondhand d25s cd player.

It is difficult for D25 to make HD495 work well. When I use hd580/hd600 on d25, the sound is very good, though they are 300¦¸.

If you think the price of hd580 is high, HD200/535/545 are all good choices

Jan 10, 2002 at 10:08 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

If you think the price of hd580 is high, HD200/535/545 are all good choices

ok...
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Oh, I get it. That information is actually useful. It took me a couple times to understand that. Thanks rice

Jan 10, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
No need for apology. Your english is quite good, especially for somebody living in another country.

Living in another country?

rolleyes.gif

What you mean by that?
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back