Should I get an Amp or DAC?
Feb 23, 2012 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rahuldagli

Head-Fier
I own sennheiser hd 598 headphones and I use on-board sound card. The volume is sufficient enough. However, I want to improve its SQ. Which one should I get? Or should I get both?

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 10
NuForce uDAC2... it's both and is more than sufficient for your purposes.

You can upgrade to a nicer amp later if you need more

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
I own sennheiser hd 598 headphones and I use on-board sound card. The volume is sufficient enough. However, I want to improve its SQ. Which one should I get? Or should I get both?

If you want a cheap but decent external USB DAC/amplifier, I recommend the FiiO E10. It is actually an improvement over the uDAC2 in a number of aspects, and costs less.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 10
It depends how much you want to spend but I think the Audinst Mx1 or Yulong D100 would both be great choices, the E10 is a more inexpensive option. Hop over to headfonia.com Mike has good reviews on combo Amp/Dacs.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 10
The Fiio E7 is a nice match for them, if you're on a small budget. Want more power, try the E10.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 10
Are you using the computer for music? gaming? movies?
Motherboards come with built-in low cost DACs (Digital to Analog Converters), so any aftermarket DAC you buy should be an improvement.
And the headphone/line out jack built into the motherboard is not a great(quality) amplifier for headphones.
The Fiio E10 is a USB/DAC/headphone amplifier. It plugs into the USB port on the computer and it would improve sound for the headphones.
But does not provide surround sound for movies.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 10
Borrowing the thread a little bit.
Im considering getting the Bravo Audio Ocean and a decent DAC in the same price area (looking at the Argon DAC1 at the moment), you think it would be a good deal?
Using the HD555's (Modified)

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Borrowing the thread a little bit.
Im considering getting the Bravo Audio Ocean and a decent DAC in the same price area (looking at the Argon DAC1 at the moment), you think it would be a good deal?
Using the HD555's (Modified)

Could not find any info or price in English for that DAC.
But when you get everything setup, please post a review on the Bravo Audio Ocean.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #10 of 10

+2 for the Audinst. For $179, it's really tough to beat for a DAC/Amp combo. Plus, it has a rollable op-amp and in the future if you get a nicer HP amp, you can use the Audinst as just a DAC. It will also drive low and high impedance HPs.

Quote:
Totally agreed. Had my audinst and really loved it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back