Should I get a sound Card?
Mar 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markzi

Head-Fier
Ok, so first things first, I'm using a desktop with Onboard Sound. No Sound Card. Now, I recently got a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's, and I figured the best solution would be to get a Fiio E7.
Yesterday I started using a program to record my guitar directly into the PC. Anyway, the sound is horrible because I dont have a sound Card, it says on the website that I need a decent sound card to get good sound from it.
A lot of people told me not to get a Sound Card since I will be getting the Fiio E7. They said that the Fiio E7 replaces the sound card.
If I do end up getting a sound card, can I use the Fiio E7 AMP only without DAC so that I combine the power of the soundcard with the Fiio's Amp? Or will the Fiio E7 still replace the Soundcard?
Also, I'm willing to spend about 100$ if it will get me better quality, any suggestions?

Mar 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 8
Plenty of quality soundcards outperform FiiO E7, and have plenty of features to boot.

If you haven't got the E7 yet, you would do better to get a soundcard like an Asus Xonar DG or a Creative X-Fi Titanium (there are far better options but your budget is limited) and adding an amp (the Xonar DG has an amp but you will do better with a separate amp), like a PA2V2 or a FiiO E11.

EDIT: What are your listening habits other than recording your guitar? Also, the E7 amp is nothing special, and E7 doesn't have inputs, contrary to soundcards.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 8
I had MAJOR issues with a Creative X-Fi on my custom gaming rig. I highly don't recommend them to anyone.

Asus and HT Omega are awesome.

I have an Asus STX and WOW... It will blow my headphones up :p

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
I had MAJOR issues with a Creative X-Fi on my custom gaming rig. I highly don't recommend them to anyone.

Asus and HT Omega are awesome.

I have an Asus STX and WOW... It will blow my headphones up :p

Specifying what issues you had would certainly help understand your situation.

I've used Creative cards on just about all hardware generations and I've yet to have a single issue.

If people know how to install the card and respective software, it proves to be unmatched for gaming.

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 8
Damn, I already ordered a Fiio E7, and I cant cancel the order, can I get a sound card and use the Fiio too? Like together? Only AMP no DAC?
What do you recommend I do now?

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Damn, I already ordered a Fiio E7, and I cant cancel the order, can I get a sound card and use the Fiio too? Like together? Only AMP no DAC?
What do you recommend I do now?

Sure, you can run the audio from a soundcard and send it to E7's amp.

Again, what are your listening habits? Are you only going to record guitar or are you also listening to music, play games and watch movies? And if so, which will you do more?

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Ok, so first things first, I'm using a desktop with On-board Sound. No Sound Card. Now, I recently got a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's, and I figured the best solution would be to get a Fiio E7.
Yesterday I started using a program to record my guitar directly into the PC. Anyway, the sound is horrible because I dont have a sound Card, it says on the website that I need a decent sound card to get good sound from it.
A lot of people told me not to get a Sound Card since I will be getting the Fiio E7. They said that the Fiio E7 replaces the sound card.
If I do end up getting a sound card, can I use the Fiio E7 AMP only without DAC so that I combine the power of the sound card with the Fiio's Amp? Or will the Fiio E7 still replace the Soundcard?
Also, I'm willing to spend about 100$ if it will get me better quality, any suggestions?

As I'm assuming your sending an analog signal from your guitar to the PC. To record an analog audio signal to the PC uses an ADC (Analog to Digital Converter), not a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter), So I'm assuming the ADC built into your computer's motherboard is a very low cost ADC, might be why your recordings are poor quality.
So might be worth it to look for a good ADC (which I know nothing about).

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the replies, I mostly listen to music, I never watch movies on my PC, and I don't care that much about music in my games. It's Music > Record Guitar > Everything Else.
I guess I'll try to find a good ADC, I'll do some research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back