Should I get a portable amp or DAC?
Jun 29, 2010 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HydroTurtle

100+ Head-Fier
Should I get an amp or DAC? If so, then which one? I want it to be portable and under $120.
I'm currently using a Sansa Clip+ with my MS-1i's.

I'm still a noob on Head-fi and I'm pretty overwhelmed by everything.  I think I'm doing pretty well for 14 years old though.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 8
Not sure you're on the right forum for that question. But...

Do you mean should you get a portable amp or portable dac/amp?

Depends entirely on your needs. If you plan on using the device to stream music from your computer as well as pairing it with your dap then a dac/amp will have value for you.

If you only want a portable amp for your dap then the dac section will be useless.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 8
Then there's no need for a DAC for you then - the purpose of a DAC is to bypass your computers soundcard and headphone out which are not often the best quality.

The MS1i are phones that do just fine from a DAP but will benefit from an amp definitely. The changes are subtle though so don't expect miracles! :wink:

I'm not the greatest expert on portable amps and don't know what I'd recommend in your price range. My best advice would be to re-post in the portable headphone amps forum here at head-fi and see what the guys there suggest at your budget.

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 8
Alright thanks for the help.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back