Should I get a new DAC/AMP for HE1000v2 and Focal Clear OG?
Nov 3, 2022 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SeaCowManatee

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I've been looking at possibly getting new DACs and Amps for my headphones so I could use some advice.

Below is my current setup.

Current Headphones - HE 1000v2 and Focal Clear mainly, AKG N90Q sometimes.

Current Earbuds - Sennheiser IE 80s and Etymotic Research ER3SE

Current Speakers - Logitech G560 and LG SL10YG

Current DAC/Amp - Currently using EVGA NU with Windows PC, Sound BlasterX G6 with Macbook Pro, and Apple Dongle for iPad Pro.

Current Source - Apple Music mainly, Vinyl through AT-LP60 rarely w. AutoEq per headphone.

Current Budget - ~$1000

I've listed earbuds and speakers in my setup but if I purchase a new DAC/amp, it would be for HE1000v2 and Focal Clear mainly for home usage. I am open to having Bluetooth capability since I use Airpod Pro/Galaxy Buds 2 but I honestly don't think these need them anyway and I don't use them as often.

I've been looking at Topping A90/L90, DX7 Pro+, and SMSL M500 MKIII, as well as Topping E30/L30 II and SMSL C200. But if I won't notice too much difference between my current setup to new combos due to diminishing returns, then I am happy to settle with what I have currently.

Let me know what you think and suggest.

Thanks for your time and reading!

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 5
For the hek the short answer is yes.

Nov 4, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 5
Demo would be fantastic, so that's great. Any time I get up to Irvine for Canjam or The Source AV I learn a ton.

Nov 4, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 5
I'd definitely upgrade your DAC and Amp, but think about upgrading your speakers too. You can get a whole lot better than what you currently have for not a whole lot of money. Even a pair of JBL LSR305's would prove to be a massive upgrade. If it were me and that was my budget and setup, I'd go for a Jotunheim 2 + Modius, then get a pair of LSR305's and use the Jotunheim 2 XLR Preamp. Killer setup for a grand IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back