Should I get a DT880, HD600 or an AKG Q701/K701?
Sep 9, 2014 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SexySteve

New Head-Fier
Hello headfiers,

I recently got into headphones after mostly listening to speakers for my whole life. As a start I got a decent USB DAC (Creative X-fi HD USB) and a beginner headphone amp (O2 amp). I also bought a Pihllips Fidelio x1 to pair with this setup and it has been great for EDM and pop music.For other kinds of music like classical,metal, alternative rock and some acoustic music it fell a bit short in my opinion. Especially the mids were a tad recessed where I would like them more natural and straightforward.

This is why I have decided to get another headphone to listen to these genres of music. After a bit of research I stumbled upon the Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD600 and AKG Q701/K701. During my research I encountered a lot of conflicting statements about these headphones and thus I wondered which of these would be the most recommended for these types of music.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 11
  Hello headfiers,

I recently got into headphones after mostly listening to speakers for my whole life. As a start I got a decent USB DAC (Creative X-fi HD USB) and a beginner headphone amp (O2 amp). I also bought a Pihllips Fidelio x1 to pair with this setup and it has been great for EDM and pop music.For other kinds of music like classical,metal, alternative rock and some acoustic music it fell a bit short in my opinion. Especially the mids were a tad recessed where I would like them more natural and straightforward.

This is why I have decided to get another headphone to listen to these genres of music. After a bit of research I stumbled upon the Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD600 and AKG Q701/K701. During my research I encountered a lot of conflicting statements about these headphones and thus I wondered which of these would be the most recommended for these types of music.

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

Coming from Fidelios, I guess Senns are the safe way to go.

Best Luck!

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 11
The 600s or 880s would serve you well. The 600 has a little bigger soundstage and the 880 presents tiny details a little more clearly.

Also, if you're interested, I'm selling a like new 880.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 11
+1 HD600
The 880 treble is more fatiguing than normal to some and I haven't really heard that about the 600. Though I doubt you could really go wrong with either. The 880 is a good bit cheaper so keep that in mind.

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 11
  Hello headfiers,

Thanks in advance.

As others have said, go for either the HD600 or the DT880.

Personally, I find the DT880 better for electronic stuff, as it's slightly faster and has more sub bass. It is also the more comfortable of the two and (usually) cheaper to buy. The HD600 has a bit more mid-bass and more forward mids, and I find it is better for rock/classical/jazz music. 

There's not a lot in it though. They are both excellent all-round headphones, you can't go wrong really!

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 11
Hey SexySteve, right now I'm in the same situation you had. I return my Fidelio x1 because I needed something more suited to those same genres
Which headphones did you buy?
Any suggestion?

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 11
  Hey SexySteve, right now I'm in the same situation you had. I return my Fidelio x1 because I needed something more suited to those same genres
Which headphones did you buy?
Any suggestion?

Hey chekock.

I was surprised to see a reply to this old thread. I have since moved on to a Beyerdynamic T1 and Hifiman HE5-LE.becaus eof that, I do not use the headphones mentioned in this thread that much anymore but I will at least try to share my impressions.

With some luck, I ended up buying a used DT880, HD580(very similar to the HD600) and K702 for less than a new HD650 goes for here. All three are excellent headhones for the price but for the genres I listed above(and all others) I ended up greatly preffering the DT880. The HD580 had the best midrange but was a bit too politeon the treble for my tastes. It also seemed to get a bit congested with fast music. I foundthe AKG K702 to have a really great soundstage but just really lacking in the bass department and it gives me the most listening fatigue out of all three headphones. I found the DT880 to be the most balanced and well extended at the frequency extremes. It did not have the soundstage of the AKGs or the mids of the Sennheisers, but in my opinion(and that of my 2 friends who tried them) it offered the best overall package and makes a great all rounder.

I found all three headphones to be superior to the Fidelio X1 and X2(for all genres) and ended up selling my X1s. But that is just what I found, I would strongly advise trying to audition them if you can or buy 2 or 3 at the same time from a place with good return policy to see whichever you like and return the others.

Hope it helps you out a bit.

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 11
  Hey chekock.

I was surprised to see a reply to this old thread. I have since moved on to a Beyerdynamic T1 and Hifiman HE5-LE.becaus eof that, I do not use the headphones mentioned in this thread that much anymore but I will at least try to share my impressions.

With some luck, I ended up buying a used DT880, HD580(very similar to the HD600) and K702 for less than a new HD650 goes for here. All three are excellent headhones for the price but for the genres I listed above(and all others) I ended up greatly preffering the DT880. The HD580 had the best midrange but was a bit too politeon the treble for my tastes. It also seemed to get a bit congested with fast music. I foundthe AKG K702 to have a really great soundstage but just really lacking in the bass department and it gives me the most listening fatigue out of all three headphones. I found the DT880 to be the most balanced and well extended at the frequency extremes. It did not have the soundstage of the AKGs or the mids of the Sennheisers, but in my opinion(and that of my 2 friends who tried them) it offered the best overall package and makes a great all rounder.

I found all three headphones to be superior to the Fidelio X1 and X2(for all genres) and ended up selling my X1s. But that is just what I found, I would strongly advise trying to audition them if you can or buy 2 or 3 at the same time from a place with good return policy to see whichever you like and return the others.

Hope it helps you out a bit.

Man I'm really considering to buy the HD 600 or the dt880 but I didn't like the Fidelios x1 because It was to dark and warm for me and the vocals were so distant and a bit sibilant

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 11
Hey chekock.

So...on the T1's compared to the 880's, is it worth the extra $500? Loaded question, I know.

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 11
So...on the T1's compared to the 880's, is it worth the extra $500? Loaded question, I know.

There's not a single 'right' answer for that question.

The T1 is more musical, better all rounder and more transparent with significantly better soundstage and imaging capabilities.
But DT880 is still very good, specially when paired with quality gear.

So, you can comfortably skip the T1 and pick something else with those $500 dollars.
1080p Home Theater Projector? You know, something like that...

If you already have that kind of things or you just don't want anything but a new headphone (even better than DT880), then the T1 should be on your shortlist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back