Should I get a dedicated DAP?
Apr 5, 2014 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mr Geek

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow headphone addicts

For a number of weeks I've been hiding in the background reading up on my new addiction.

I've built up a small collection of headphones lately. After making the mistake of listening to a musical fidelity M6CD and headphone amp with my yamaha Pro500's realised I am not getting the most out of them with. I've decided to take the plunge and buy a portable amp (fiio e18) but I'm undecided if I should by a Dedicated DAP?

Currently I use my MacBook Air, iPhone 5 and mor recently been impressed with the neutron app for my blackberry z10.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #2 of 4
The DACs in most phones are fairly decent these days, so if you had a portable amp like the e18 I doubt the sound would be noticeably worse than a good dedicated player like a Fiio X3. It really depends on where you want to store your music, i.e. whether you want to take up space (or actually have enough space) on your phone.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 4
I guess I've never really bothered about space my phone blackberry has a 32GB card plus it's built in memory and I tend to swap out albums for ones I want every few weeks lol

At home space is not an issue as I run a home server (about 13TB) so it was more about sound I guess :)

Cheers

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 4
So i've had my Fiio e18 a couple of weeks now and i decided to use my iPod touch (1st gen) to hold some apple lossless cd rips. This is showing some signs of death though so im back on the DAP path i think lol 

Ive used my Blackberry with Neutron app for some Flac files and it works awesome but for some reason the phone signal creates a very annoying interference. The blackberry is normally dead by the end of the day too so not much use lol my iPhone 5 has the same problem with signal noise and i only really use this for spotify (airplane mode is needed).

My plan is to purchase more HD files along with ripping CD's to a lossless format so I'm after advise on a good DAP between £100 - £150 (maybe more if given a good reason lol).

Currently I'm thinking the Fiio X3 might be my best option?

My main headphones are the Yamaha Pro500 but these are on my upgrade list as not too comfy for long listens. Ive also got my eye on the Grado 325's or 225's for home listening (this is via my Mac and the e18 as a DAC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back