Should I get a DAC?
May 12, 2017 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Masterchiefxx17

New Head-Fier
I have a desktop PC with an Asus Xonar DG sound card installed. This sound card provides sound to my front header audio, followed by my 5.1 Logitech speaker system which is plugged into the rear.

I have a nice pair of headphones and have been powering them off of the computer's front audio.

My question is, is should I get a DAC and how would it work in my configuration if I did? Where would it be connected to?

May 12, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 19
You might replace the Xonar DG with a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card
(better DAC function and more powerful headphone amplifier, then the Xonar DG)).

May 12, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 19
I have a desktop PC with an Asus Xonar DG sound card installed. This sound card provides sound to my front header audio, followed by my 5.1 Logitech speaker system which is plugged into the rear.

I have a nice pair of headphones and have been powering them off of the computer's front audio.

My question is, is should I get a DAC and how would it work in my configuration if I did? Where would it be connected to?

Get a DAC-HPamp with SPDIF inputs (or a DAC with SPDIF inputs and a headphone amp), hook it up to the SPDIF output on your soundcard. You'll still use the DSP on the soundcard this way so if you're running virtual surround or spatial simulation, it will still work.

May 13, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #4 of 19
You might replace the Xonar DG with a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card
(better DAC function and more powerful headphone amplifier, then the Xonar DG)).

Something like this perhaps? https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-Performance-Headphone-Forming-Microphone/dp/B009ISU33E

The only problem with Creative Labs is my motherboard (the Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97) has a Creative Labs sound card installed on it. However, it functions poorly on my system with the speakers. It's the sound card software that I am afraid of.

Get a DAC-HPamp with SPDIF inputs (or a DAC with SPDIF inputs and a headphone amp), hook it up to the SPDIF output on your soundcard. You'll still use the DSP on the soundcard this way so if you're running virtual surround or spatial simulation, it will still work.

This sound interesting and what I think I want to do. Do you have any recommendations on a DAC-HPamp?

May 14, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 19
The only problem with Creative Labs is my motherboard (the Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97) has a Creative Labs sound card installed on it. However, it functions poorly on my system with the speakers. It's the sound card software that I am afraid of.

Use that for now, especially if it has the DSP features you can use, like Virtual Surround. Hook up the DAC or DAC-HPamp via SPDIF on the motherboard and it should work through that.

This sound interesting and what I think I want to do. Do you have any recommendations on a DAC-HPamp?

AudioGD NFB-11, ODAC Rev2 with O2, Schiit Modi2 Uber and Vali2

May 14, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #8 of 19
Use that for now, especially if it has the DSP features you can use, like Virtual Surround. Hook up the DAC or DAC-HPamp via SPDIF on the motherboard and it should work through that.

AudioGD NFB-11, ODAC Rev2 with O2, Schiit Modi2 Uber and Vali2

The Schiit Modi2 Uber is a familiar brand to me. Just to clarify, I would get the Schiit Modi2 Uber, then connect it via SPDIF to my Asus soundcard and then connect the 3.5mm headphone jack to it?

To me it seems like these models use USB connections? Aren't I looking for a SPDIF input?

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 19
The Modi 2 Uber and multibit have optical and coax spdif also.

May 14, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 19
The Schiit Modi2 Uber is a familiar brand to me. Just to clarify, I would get the Schiit Modi2 Uber, then connect it via SPDIF to my Asus soundcard and then connect the 3.5mm headphone jack to it?

To me it seems like these models use USB connections? Aren't I looking for a SPDIF input?

You would also need a Magni 2 also as the Modi 2 Uber/Multibit is only a DAC without volume control and only has an RCA output.

May 14, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 19
Just to clarify, I would get the Schiit Modi2 Uber, then connect it via SPDIF to my Asus soundcard and then connect the 3.5mm headphone jack to it?

No, the Schiit Modi2 and Uber version are both just DACs. No headphone amp circuit built into the same board or enclosure. You need to hook it up to a headphone amplifier.

Soundcard >SPDIF optical> Modi2 Uber >RCA analogue pair> Magni2 (Uber) or Vali2 or Asgard2 or Lyr2 or whatever >headphone output> Headphone

Uhhh...what?

Headphone-Zone-SCHIIT---MODI-2-UBER--1_2000x.jpg

May 15, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 19
No, the Schiit Modi2 and Uber version are both just DACs. No headphone amp circuit built into the same board or enclosure. You need to hook it up to a headphone amplifier.

Soundcard >SPDIF optical> Modi2 Uber >RCA analogue pair> Magni2 (Uber) or Vali2 or Asgard2 or Lyr2 or whatever >headphone output> Headphone

Uhhh...what?

Perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

As for the USB comment, I was confused on why there was a USB port on the Modi2 to begin with and thought that it may be used for receiving sound.

May 15, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 19

As for the USB comment, I was confused on why there was a USB port on the Modi2 to begin with and thought that it may be used for receiving sound.
Ok now I'm confused. You question was "Should I get a Dac" . A Dac is a Digital to Analog Converter.

May 15, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 19

A USB port is also for "receiving sound"... You can use either the USB or SPDIF port as both of them uses a digital signals that need to be turned into an analog signal so your headphone can interpret it into sound. The reason we told you to use the SPDIF port is because you said you wanted to keep your DSP features. If you use the USB on your motherboard and not the SPDIF off your soundcard you lose the DSP that your soundcard provides.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #15 of 19

USB carries digital audio and power to the Modi2. On the Modi2 Uber it only receives digital audio since its board gets its power from the AC power supply that comes with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back