Should I get a CX300 II or RE2?
Jul 22, 2009 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

vegetaleb

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!
Help me choose between the Head Direct RE2 and the CX300 II
I know I red many reviews saying Halleluia for the RE2 but they said it's not fantastic for electronica music too! The music I listen to mostly is Trance and Psytrance,so I want to know if Head Direct RE2 are still better than the CX300 II for those kind of music.I have actually the very bassy sony EX32,it have too much bass in a way mids and highs are not showing up so I dont want to take another set of extrem bass-centric earphones nor the total opposite

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 9
Hello, welcome to head-fi!
wink.gif

I have the CX300s and they are good for electronica, which i listen too. Strong bass but poor on detail.
Based on the reviews, RE2 are a bit weak of bass, so i suppose this is the reason because they are not excellent for electronica. But HeadDirect sells in their website a combo of Fiio E5 + RE2 to reinforce this weak, and with that they should be really good in electronica too.

Based on the reviews i wouldn't have doubt to pick this combo over the CX300 that i like too, but RE2 seems to be awesome.

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 9
I think I will not need the amp,my samsung P2 has powerfull custom EQ and the Touch 2G has the Bass Boost EQ
About the microphonics it seems the same for both RE2 and CX300 II?
I would certainly not pick up a CX300 1st gen because of ''missing'' details and mids but I was hopping that the II would repair that.
It's always better to have a Sennheiser written on your earphones than plain black chinese ugly design of the RE2

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 9
don't be overly concerned with looks of the earphones for you might as well get a better looker than cx300. (more extreme people will suggest skullcandies and then proceed to laugh at you.)

What RE2s and CX300s really gives is sound quality on a budget, and since i've only heard the RE2s, i'm gonna say its pretty darn good at it. especially if you like forward vocals. the other guys can give you more on cx300..

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 9
I would have taken the NE-7M but Amazon can send it only via regular mail to Lebanon which is extremly slow
I was planning to buy the RE2 on monday but I still have not got clear answers about the CX300 II sound quality toward Trance music and if they can be comparable to NE-7M. Cx300 is not the same as CX300 II,they are supposed to got improvements where the 1st gen failed.
I really dunno now...the RE2 seems to be exellent in details but poor in Bass(and I don't want to use amp because of sports) and the CX300 II are good in details but too strong in Bass,correct me if I am wrong

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Hi,

I cant comment on the comparison of the three models you suggested. But I checked some comments on the comparison of the cx-300 to cx-300 -II. See one person who had both models on sennheiser cx300 Mark II vs cx300 on [url=http://www.avforums.com quote "soundwise it sounds much more open and you can hear parts of the music" they gave it 9 out of 10. Another person compared the old cx-500 model to the new cx-300-II and found the new cx-300-II more open.

Some still find the new cx-300-II a little bass heavy though - however I like good bass as long as its not muddy and illdefined. The new cx-300II I think it does do bass reasonably better than the old model cleaner and tighter.

Cheers,

Steve.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 9
Buy the RE2s with the Fiio amp. Amazing deal at this price point. The amp provides the extra bass that is lacking (some would say) with the headphones itself. With the amp, the bass is tight, not muddy, precise. Very clear and smooth at this level.

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 9
I don't own a cx300-ii but I had it for few days. What I think is, the bass is heavy and thumping although it is kind of distorted. Other than that, it is not bad, of course, if you can get it for cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back