Should I get a C222ES?
Jul 24, 2003 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

OriginalReaper

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, I sold $200+ worth of gear in hopes of getting a C222ES for ~$350.

Now SACDII pops its head up.

So instead of getting a $350 player, I want to get something around half the cost. Here's what I want, listed in priority:

1. SACD playback (must have)
2. 5 disc changer
3. DVD playback

I don't want to spend more than ~$230. I don't really mind using a used or last year's model.

What do you guys recommend?

Jul 24, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 6
Do you have to get it now? If you can, maybe you should wait to see what happens with SACDII in September, that way you'll have more info to base your purchase on. I have been sort of looking around myself, but I'm going to wait and see what happens. If Sony does happen to ****** this up, then I will just stay with redbook for the foreseeable future.

Jul 24, 2003 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 6
I really want one now
frown.gif

I sold my D25S, formerly my main source. The only thing I have left to play CDs on is a SlimX, XBox, and a portable Minidisc player.

Jul 24, 2003 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 6
How is the redbook on the 222ES? And the build quality?

Jul 24, 2003 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 6
Build is very good on 222ES, shares a number of parts with 555ES, but not *quite* up to 555ES level, though. Can't speak to sound quality.

Jul 24, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Build is pretty good on the 222ES -- much, much better chassis and build quality than the lower-model Sony SACD changer, and a lot better chassis and build quality than the Phillips 963, which feels quite cheaply made. Main issue is that the tray mechanism is quite clunky when changing discs, etc., but this is a flaw that the 555ES and the cheaper Sony changers also share (although the 555ES has that oh so cool flip down tray cover, which masks this effect a bit).

Sound quality, I feel, is quite good. In the store I purchased from, I compared 222ES with 555ES with both CD and SACD (both units stock and unmodded, through the same amplifiers and speakers). On both redbook and SACD, I thought that the 555ES was slightly smoother through the mids, and just a bit airier in the treble than the 222ES. The 555ES also seemed to have a just a little bit greater "ease" in the bass than the 222ES. In sum, I'd say that the sound of the 555ES was generally just a little more effortless than the 222ES. BUT, I did not think that the difference was profound, or worth the over $400 price difference in the players (especially as the 222ES cost less than $400).

I thought the 222ES sounded quite similar in redbook to the Arcam CD players, although maybe a tad less punchy in the bass, and not quite as detailed as the higher end Arcams in the mids and highs. For what its worth, I thought that the Arcams, while definitely detailed in sound, and quite punchy sounding, were a little harsh sounding for my tastes.

Just my opinion, but I hope its worth it. I bought the 222ES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back