Should I get a balanced or single ended cable for the LCD-X?
Nov 17, 2020 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

buencamino

100+ Head-Fier
Thinking of getting the LCD-X, but not sure if I should connect it balanced (4 pin xlr) or single-ended (1/4"). I'm planning to get a schiit magnius to drive it with. Won't the balanced connection be overkill since the LCD-X is a low impedance headphone? Asking for advice, thanks.

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 7
Thinking of getting the LCD-X, but not sure if I should connect it balanced (4 pin xlr) or single-ended (1/4"). I'm planning to get a schiit magnius to drive it with. Won't the balanced connection be overkill since the LCD-X is a low impedance headphone? Asking for advice, thanks.

Get a XLR balance ended. Then use a single-ended attachment to it.

No cons. Can connect to anything single-ended or balanced. Unless you are connecting it to a dap and you want to walk around.

for example:
s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 7
Nov 19, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Overkill is underrated. So no. Most planars are low impedance (other than the 200 ohm LCD-4’s) like the HE-6’s which are 50 ohms so classified as low impedance but most listen to them on speaker taps so what is the difference sensitivity they have a sensitivity of 83.5 dB per mW which is super low and need a bunch of power to get them going.
the LCD-X is 20 ohm at 103db so probably would be fine single ended I’m going balanced when I can.

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 7
Get a XLR balance ended. Then use a single-ended attachment to it.

No cons. Can connect to anything single-ended or balanced. Unless you are connecting it to a dap and you want to walk around.

for example:
s-l400.jpg

Do you mean to get balanced cable then a short single ended modular connection to it? I was planning to go balanced ended..

Nov 20, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 7
Yes, but a XLR balance ended specifically. Since the big seperate pins will never wear down like gold/rhodium coating like a 2.5 or 4.4 balance end.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 7
I'll put it this way ...I will personally never buy a single-ended aftermarket cable or a set of headphones that can't be run balanced, ever again. I'll also never buy another DAC or amp that isn't fully balanced. I don't believe for a second that a (reasonably well made) cable makes a bit of difference to sound, but balanced vs. unbalanced /certainly/ can and has, for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back