Should I get a 30GB Zen Xtra for $188?
Nov 10, 2004 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ziddy

Head-Fier
The cheapest I see an iPod or iRiver H120/iHP-120 is like $100 more than that, and I'm a poor kid with $200 and no job.

From what I've heard, the Xtra seems to be hit or miss - people say it's great, and other people say "it's huge and has a sucky interface."

As for the size issue - it really doesn't matter, as it's certainly smaller than a CD player, so I'd easily be able to fit it in my pocket. The interface has me a bit worried though...

Nov 10, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 13
You're going to get a different opinion on the Zen Xtra depending on who you ask. If you are trying to go the low-cost route, the Xtra is a very good deal. It is pretty much a brick as far as size and shape are concerned, but you don't seem to mind (neither did I when I bought it). The interface isn't great, but it works very good once you get used to it.

If you're looking for a unanimous yes or no from here, you're definately not going to get it. The Xtra sure as hell isn't going to win any awards for its design or UI, but for the money it's a very good DAP.

Nov 10, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 13
Don't do it. Save your money until you have a bit more to get a better player. Nothing wrong with the zen, but why get a bulky brick when you can get a small lil' brick (karma) or a slightly thinner taller brick (ipod).

Nov 10, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 13
I agree with everything said above, unless you want high capacity later down the road. In that case, get an earlier Zen, and upgrade the HDD with a laptop drive later, when you need the space. The Zen Xtra is pretty poorly constructed compaired to it's predessecors

Nov 10, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 13
no.

get a used karma. or possibly even a used IHP. You may want to just
wait save the extra 80 bucks.

As far as uber cheap options. RCA 40gb Lyra would be a consideration.
Check them out on ebay.
I had an earlier model. Rock solid but had problems with VBR.
That should be corrected now. Austin wrote up a review on DAP
review. If I definitely didn't want to spend > 200 the lyra with
40Gb (nice!) would have to be considered.

188 for a Zen doesn't do much for me.

Nov 10, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 13
i'd look for a used ipod in your price range.

i sold a second gen ipod for 115 a few months ago.

the interface of the ipods really makes it invincible in my opinion. i thought the zens looked cool in pictures, but when i found someone who had one and got to hold it and play around with it, it just felt so much less intuitive than the ipod's touch wheel.

Nov 10, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 13
If you're the kind of guy who fiddles with the gadget after every song looking for the next one to hear then the ipod is it for you since they say it's the easiest to navigate. Myself, I listen to albums or playlists that are so long it would take hours to finish. Once I've chosen waht to hear, that's it. i may not touch it again for a long while except to adjust the volume. Hence, easy interface is not that important to me as long as it's not stupidly hard. Not that I'm saying the nomad zen has a difficult interface, as a matter of fact it's so easy for me I don't understand the complaints about it.

I love the design that the buttons are on the side and hidden or unobstrusive because I can just put it in my jeans' front pocket and no matter what happens to it there is no danger of buttons being accidentally pushed unlike other players that are so touch sensitive because their buttons are so on the surface. Because of this I don't even use the HOLD feature and is a totally useless feature to me. i became so familiar with the zen tht i can manipulate the player through my shirt or pants by feel that i don't have to bring it out anymore to fiddle with it.

I love that the nomad zen is built like a brick that i don't have to handle it extra carefully to use it. The case is reasonably scratch proof so I just tossed away the case that came with it, never even used it once. I find it funny that iPod users largely bought the iPod due to aesthetic reasons (It looks the coolest!!!) yet they go ahead and cover it negating the very idea that they bought it. Of course they have to do this if they want to maintain the iPod from scratches.

Nov 10, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 13
I'm really a bit leery about buying used, as there'd be no warranty at all through that route.

Also, I didn't see anyting relating to "iPod" on fatwallet.com, and I'm not really sure that I want to invest nearly $300 in an audio player. Afterall, that'd be all my Christmas money, as well, when I'd be almost as happy with my $30 MP3/CD player (that happened to break >_<)...

Nov 10, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 13
Make sure to spend the $25 and download appropriate software from Redchairsoftware.

I would look at the Dell DJ. I bought a 20gig from a friend for a great price and coupled with 'dudebox explorer' I'm very pleased. If you search around, you can probably find Dell coupon codes for $$ off.

Nov 11, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #13 of 13
I'd also suggest looking at the Dell DJ as a very cost-effective option. It can be pretty cheap in the US, especially with coupon codes if you can find any, like ducksman11 said.

That being said, if I had $200 to spend I'd definitely go for the Rio Karma overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back