Should I erase my laptop's HD and use an External?
Dec 24, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
best thing you can do is buy a huge external hard drive and run your itunes of that. Two concerns with this idea:

1. you need to have your hard drive on all the time to access the music file. This is fine if you have a desktop but not a laptop.

2. The external hard drive is slower that you internal drive. It may take a split second longer to access the files on demand.

Otherwise it works great!

If you need any help sorting files and structure out let me know.

In reference to number 1-why is it not fine if I have a laptop?

Dec 25, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #17 of 20
Ok-new problem.
So Ive got the external HD and I went into preferences-->advanced and redirected iTunes to my external (which has an exact copy of my "my music" folder already stored on it).
However, just to test it out-I erased an album off my laptop's internal drive-so that when i play it in iTunes it will recognize it (or play it from) my external and not my internal (where it no longer exists).
I tried to play the song on iTunes and it cant find the song and an exclamation point comes up next to all the tracks in this one album.

Should I erase everything on my external and just "consolidate library"?
If I consolidate now, im worried its going to make copies of everything that is already on the drive?

Dec 26, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #18 of 20
I would first try to clear the iTunes library, then reimport from the EHD music folder.

Otherwise, erase and consolidate also works.

Dec 26, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #19 of 20
You can just replace your internal hard drive and you should always back up someplace. Some externals don't regulate your hard drives. Meaning, once you turn them on, they spin full throttle and burn out. (my last external enclosure). I'm having the same problem, I'll probably start working towards building a file server. Start small, you can build them up later as you go.

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #20 of 20
I've asked for a 500gb eSata drive + enclosure for Christmas, here's hoping it comes my way! It hasn't taken me long to fill up half of my Macbook Pro's 160 gigs. (Yes I know I'll need an eSata adaptor).

My main concern is how I'm going to manage the software. While my collection will be on the external drive, I will want to be able to pull stuff onto the internal drive easily and keep it organized there (for portable listening). Could I do this by running two versions of iTunes, one off of each drive, and drag-n-drop from one to the other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back