Should I "Downgrade"?
Jan 1, 2008 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hairygorillaz

New Head-Fier
Happy new year to all.

I presently have a 30GB iPod Video (5th Gen). I'm running out of space and am looking at getting a 60GB iPod Photo from the Apple refurbished store. This will allow me to back up my other stuff also.

I would like to know what you guys think. How is the sound of both the lineout and headphone out? And do you think i should switch?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #6 of 11
Are you going for the imod in the future? If not, why not go ahead with the classic since they provide bigger space? I read your post saying that you don't really like the sound of the classic but I see most head-fiers who say the classic is good uses cans instead of iems.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #7 of 11
I would never suggest downgrading. You have less, if any, product support from the company when you get an older item. Sure, some older items sound better but if they are out of production and have no warranty, they are worthless. What good is something that sounds better when, if it breaks, you can't have it fixed? Then you have to settle for something not as good. I'm not saying that Apple would act this way, but it's just a general rule-of-thumb.

Anyway, I happen to think the current iPod Classic is the best sounding one yet. And yes, I use cans.

However, I don't use my iPod anymore though. It's all about the home setup.

Jan 3, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 11
If you use the headphone out to listen to music, I find the 60GB iPod Photo the 4th Gen IPod to be a lot worse than the 5th Gen.

However, the lineout, I find is about the same. If I am in your situation, I would rather sell the current 30G video ipod and upgrade to an 80G iPod Classic.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 11
there are some moderatly priced new iPods in the FS area, hav a looksy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitsugaya_Squad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IPodPJ, what's your opinion on iems used on the classic then? I'm pretty curious as well as this will be the determining factor to whether I'll go iMod.

The Classic has a pretty clean output from the headphone jack. IEMs sound pretty good out of it. I always used a dock cable and amp though. But if you want the portability, it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back