Should I downgade from the OBH-11SE to the OBH-11?
Sep 7, 2002 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hinors14

New Head-Fier
When I bought an OBH-11 some time ago I actually got the SE version. Maybe because I had also bought the regulated powersupply that comes with the SE. Now, the powerbutton on my SE is broken and I'm returning it to the store. On my warranty-papers it says that I bought an OBH-11 so maybe they'll want to return an OBH-11 to me instead of the SE version :frowning2:

But maybe this isn't that bad afterall. If you look at the reviews at audioreview the OBH-11 scores a lot better than the SE version. How can this be? Is the OBH-11 superior to the SE or what?

Another thing: Last week my room (including my OBH-2) was flooded with water from the drains. I opened it and dried it and now it seems to work fine (it still sounds better than an unregulated one). Should I by a new one or will the flooded one work ok?

Sep 7, 2002 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 6
I would not downgrade from the SE. If you are talking about the warranty from Creek - the manufacturer, I wouldn't think that they'd want to rip you off by returning a regular version amp to you. If you're talking about an unscrupulous dealer who misprinted your receipt, then you could argue that the price paid would not make sense for a regular obh-11, but does for an SE model. If you've not yet approached the dealer, give him the benefit of the doubt and present your problem to him (the power switch one). The SE is a higher quality amp than the regular one, even if they sound similar. I am quite happy with the regular Creek + obh-2, but I don't think that the audioreview dot com opinions are truly indicative of the Creek amps' relative values. The heftier price of the SE limits it to richer people with spoiled ears, like jude
biggrin.gif
. The low price on the regular obh-11 makes it hard to complain about it too. Oh, and I'd get your obh-2 checked out, just to be safe. btw, if you're the fellow who posted last on the obh-11SE review page, then having an amp stuck 'on' isn't too bad. I never turn mine off.

Sep 8, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 6
I've never heard the SE, but own the OBH-11. The SE has a better power supply and is biased Class A which I believe the OBH-11 is not. Don't get me wrong about this, I'm very happy with my unit, but the SE should be a better unit. Don't take the reviews too seriously. Get your unit serviced under warranty. If the dealer tries to sidestep his obligation, fight it. You paid your money and are entitled to the service. You shouldn't even be thinking of downgrading. Especially for the reasons you stated. Good luck, let us know when it's back in spec. Enjoy !

Sep 8, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 6
Thank you for your replys!

To make things clear the dealer wrongfully sent me an SE !(I did only pay for the OBH-11). So he's only obligated to send me the regular version :frowning2:

I think there's 1½ year warranty left so I'll just tape the on/off button at on possition on the backplate. If the unit later fails I still can get it refurbished. Until that happens, id it does happen at all, I'll stick with my SE and leave it on all the time.

Sep 8, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by hinors14
Thank you for your replys!

To make things clear the dealer wrongfully sent me an SE !(I did only pay for the OBH-11). So he's only obligated to send me the regular version :frowning2:

I think there's 1½ year warranty left so I'll just tape the on/off button at on possition on the backplate. If the unit later fails I still can get it refurbished. Until that happens, id it does happen at all, I'll stick with my SE and leave it on all the time.

Shouldn't be a problem, the HeadRoom Little doesn't have a power switch and they advise it's perfectly fine to leave it on all the time.
smily_headphones1.gif

But you should still look into getting it repaired. Just find out what the deal is before hand. The dealer might just write it off and live with his error and take care of you. If he wants to swap it out with the standard unit, grab your tape
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 6
Aha! No wonder you were so sure you'd get the regular obh-11 back.
biggrin.gif
I hope you have better luck with your electronics from now on (what with the switch fault and floods).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back