Should I continue with headphones or move back to speakers?
Feb 21, 2006 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kartik

Headphoneus Supremus
I've enjoyed owning 2 mid-priced headphones with mid-level performance. Between the two, including the cost of headphone amps, cables etc. I would have spent about $1600. Today, I was listening to my system through my $400 Bohlender-Grabener speakers and was really blown away by the soundstage and imaging on those. Where they lost inches of ground to the headphones in detail, they took back yards in overall presentation. Thanks to my ill-spent dough on headphones, I'm now in a quandrary; should I sink more money into this hobby or sink it on a real speaker system?
Adding up the costs of say a Qualia or R10 (my favorites on audition at the head-fi meet some years ago) to those of a Maestro, I'm looking to spend at least $7-8K. OTOH, a competent 47 Labs system including the shigaraki cd transport, the Shigaraki DAC, GainCard and the LEns monitors comes to the same price. I just feel terrified at the prospect of sinking the first 3K for these cans, only to find that I still lust after speakers.

Help!

Please!

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 13
If its one or the other.... speakers. Don't even think about it. I love having my SDS-XLR, but it gets used about 2 hours a week. The speakers are on 6 hours a day.

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 13
Or you could make a compromise and find the K1000s somewhere. Cheaper than the Qualia or the R10 too.

If you like speakers, go for them! I'm into headphones right now because I don't want to bother other people, and the headphones in my price range way outclass the speakers in my price range. There are a few things I prefer speakers for, like gaming, because of the larger soundstage,

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 13
Hi kartik. Long time no see. I havn't seen your "new" place although you've been there for a while but if there's little problems with neighbors (or wife) and noise, I'd go speakers.

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Hi kartik. Long time no see. I havn't seen your "new" place although you've been there for a while but if there's little problems with neighbors (or wife) and noise, I'd go speakers.

The new place is bigger and kinda like a townhouse. I definitely can't blast the stereo (or so to speak!) but reasonable listening levels are definitely in order.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice! I'm going to leave my current rig in the living room as such and start focussing on a smaller, monitor based rig in my study for now.

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 13
both.

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 13
Its gotta be...speakers! Except for those times when they might bother someone else. Then you have to have...headphones. It is easy and affordable to have both however--particularly since you already have some headphones. Get either a preamp or an integrated amp with a "pass through" or "loop out". Run your headphone setup off from the loop out. You can then use either your speakers or your headphones from the same source and you can upgrade each system independently of the other.

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 13
I did that too but found out it affects the sound. I prefer to connect the source directly to the headphone amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back